fettling planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do too, front and back. Not quite by this much but close.

I do it if there is any mark left on a planed surface, but not always. Usually, a quick lap has removed those. What you show does at least create a situation where a stray metal metal burr (from an incident) will most likely end up on a surface that isn't touching wood - a good thing.

yes I do this as well, but I usually go over it with sandpaper to remove any signs of roughness or burrs, I do the sides as well, not just front and back.

Me too, just a softening of the edges. Only really an issue on brand new planes, and I've not had many of those.
Paul Sellers does it as well - it's mentioned in one of his videos on getting an old plane ready for use.

AndyT":h1qktc2n said:
Me too, just a softening of the edges. Only really an issue on brand new planes, and I've not had many of those.
Paul Sellers does it as well - it's mentioned in one of his videos on getting an old plane ready for use.

I just take the burr of the sole/side arris. Sellers puts a substantial chamfer on, intending to help the plane ride over boundaries - but it can also make it ride over shavings instead of pushing them out of the way.

BugBear

Back