Which bandsaw?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonnio

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there everyone, can someone recommend a good bandsaw? I make my living from my workshop, we make all types of built in and free-standing furniture. We use hard and softwoods, reclaimed and new. Due to the dwindling sources of good wood I'm looking to be able to re saw various sizes we come across into usable dimensions. Probably mostly around 20cm wide maybe up to 25cm. Also I would hope to benefit from the types of general cutting associated with the bandsaw that I have previously done without.
The workshop is only single phase but we have two 16amp outlets already for the table saw and P/T.
Ive been looking at machines from Hammer, record, startrite and axminsters trade and pro ranges. I already have the hammer a26 P/T and am impressed. The axminsters are a bit cheaper but I am worried that some of the parts may be sub to keep the costs down, although the specs look good. The startrites seem to have a good rep but are the new ones as good these days? I can see they are something to do with record, is that good? I have some vague memory that record may have gone a bit downhill (dont know)??
I think what I'm after is:

a solid machine
an accurate machine
10" capacity
single phase
serviceable
price up to 2k (reluctantly)

also I think I'd prefer a new machine, unless someone can recommend a reliable used source.
Any advice is much apreciated, thanks.

I've got the Hammer n4400. It's good, but so are plenty of other bandsaws, a used 351 or 352 will probably keep the thick end of £1000 in your pocket and do just as good a job. But if you prefer new then I get that, I did too.

If you already have Hammer/Felder kit there's the small benefit that the dust extraction fits straight on without adaptors, and the slightly greater benefit that you can use your existing Hammer extension tables on the bandsaw (I use Felder machines but they adapted my Hammer bandsaw with no charge to take Felder extension tables).

Just as important as the machine is the blade, and that's doubly so if you use reclaimed timber. If you get an M42 bandsaw blade from Tuffsaws you'll probably get an amazing 6 months professional use from one blade (I do), plus if you encounter the odd screw or nail in your reclaimed timber it will chomp right through without being any the worse for wear. The only downside (besides the price and the very, very slightly rougher cut) is that it's a very heavy blade and needs a quality machine to tension it properly. That's where I appreciated the integrity of the Felder/Hammer engineers, when they rate a machine for say a 3/4" blade they really mean any 3/4" blade ever made, which is the equivalent of a 1 1/4" rating from many other manufacturers! I also use a 240v model on a 16 amp plug, the electrician need to fit a different breaker as the existing one kept tripping on start up, he didn't seem to think there was anything unusual or untoward in this.

I've had a Record bandsaw in the past and it was fine, the aluminium guide casting broke but they sent a replacement overnight. I can't comment on the quality of their machines today but based on comments here their customer service still seems spot on.

Good luck.

Thanks Custard, I was looking at the n4400, what put me off was I thought I read it was best to use a 1" blade for maximum resaws and I think the hammer uses 3/4". Does this affect you/it at all?
Thanks

Not at all, it's a tribute to Hammer/Felder's integrity that they say 3/4" when actually it'll handle far wider in most bandsaw blades, just not the really thick blades like M42 bi-metallic etc. For example I know Marc Fish over in Brighton uses a 1" deep rip blade on his n4400 with no ill effects.

Personally I'm pretty comfortable using a 1/2" blade for most deep ripping, and I cut an awful lot of 200mm+ veneers in some exceptionally tough timbers like Rosewood, Oak, African Blackwood, Wenge, Maple, and Cocobolo. I'm just west of Southampton on the coast, so if you're ever in the area feel free to PM me, drop by the workshop and see for yourself.

Good luck!

I'm also an N4400 owner and simply can't fault it or indeed Hammer / Felder themselves.

It's a well made, competent , reliable and solid machine. I'd replace it in a heartbeat with another if I had to.

I'm trying hard to think of bad things to say about Hammer/Felder now as I hate sounding like a fanboy!

Hammer/Felder's sales team can be a bit arrogant, for example they're very reluctant to deliver even their biggest machines right into your workshop and try and get you to organise your own fork lift or pump truck to handle the final ten metres. Even fancier and more expensive manufacturers like Altendorf don't have this problem so why can't Felder get their act together?

Their after sales can be slow as they hold almost no spare parts in Milton Keynes, and most replacements and spares have to come over from Austria, that can cost you an extra day or two in down time.

They have very little local autonomy and are told not to tinker with the manuals or sales literature even when the translation is plainly daft, nonsensical, or misleading.

For some reason best known to themselves they refuse to put a measuring scale on their bandsaw fence. I seem to recall Marc Fish kicking up a fuss about this eight or so years ago and the local office said they'd fix it, but then head office overruled them.

And frankly, when it comes to bandsaws, is there really that much difference amongst the decent brands? I've used plenty of different bandsaws in different workshops and I can't say there's a massive difference between any of the the decent ones. Where as when it comes to say panel saws, for 0.1mm accuracy, year after year in a professional workshop, you're pretty much stuck with Martin, Altendorf, or Hammer/Felder.

Yeah Hammer seem a bit elusive. I dont fancy another 3 month wait for it to turn up either. Although they did bring my planer into the workshop across some very dodgy ground.
I've been getting the impression that there are a few brands, namely minimax, centuro and the unavailable to the uk Laguna, that are all made at the same place in italy. I also just read someone say that the Hammer machines are made there too. so i guess they all have pretty much the same capabilities and quality.

jonnio":3cd84tcd said:
I've been getting the impression that there are a few brands, namely minimax, centuro and the unavailable to the uk Laguna, that are all made at the same place in italy. I also just read someone say that the Hammer machines are made there too.

I've heard something similar although Hammer/Felder swear blind the n4400 comes off their factory line in Austria, maybe the truth is a bit of both, the basic frame is made in Italy but then it's assembled in Austria using Hammer/Felder made components like the table? Who knows, and it's not as if Laguna are slouches, I use their "Driftmaster Fence" and it's a substantial and well made bit of kit.

Good luck!

Back