spindle mounting question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

condeesteso

Established Member
Reaction score
Good day turners! Advice please: when I turn T-bars for vices I get to a point where I need to mount one finished end in tailstock in order to match the other end. It's made with one end separate - 10mm hole in end and matching spigot on shaft. But to have that joint invisible I would then reassemble and finish turn the joined end. I want to mount the end (with waste) into chuck but centre the good finished end in talistock. I went looking for a cone kind of thing for a live centre but didn't find one. How can I do this please? (It looks like this)
t-bar.jpg

Attachments

• t-bar.jpg
    t-bar.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 720
phil.p":2wm18ean said:
Turn a wooden one to slip over your existing live centre?

+1 I have a selection of such made for different projects that get re-worked from time to time as needed until complete replacement required.

Made of wood they are less prone to bruising a finished piece or require less padding than a steel item.

As others have said; Making your own cone to fit over an existing pointed live centre can be done. Maybe a little trickier than it might seem as you need to get a snug fit over the centre, but quite doable.

Alternatively Axminster make a nice live centre with interchangeable tips http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-mu ... ional-tips expensive, but well made and very versatile.

I have a draw of odd bits which have come off of spindle work and the like they are there just for this type of occasion. Like others they bet remounted and turned into various shapes to act as jam chucks and the like.

Many thanks all - I'll start with turning a cup to fit over existing centre. The Axi set looks excellent but I'll try the budget approach first. Excellent service as usual :)

Back