Planer/thicknesser issue.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamieip

Reaction score
Hey guys. I have a brand new planer/thicknesser, and I've just tried the thicknessing side of things. Ran fine for a while, but now my work gets stuck in the machine. I have to punch it with all my weight to get it to go through the machine. I found the issue. The wood gets stuck in front of the 2nd roller. This roller has springs that I assume should allow it to move up and down(so wood can get underneath it) but only one side has movement. The other side is completely locked. No matter how hard I press up on the roller it doesn't not move, however the other side does. Any idea what I should do?

The planer is an Aw106PT2 from Axminster.

I'm not familiar with you're model but you should get on to Axminster and get someone to either adjust it or replace it,
They are usually one of the better outlets to deal with.
Regards Rodders

It may be that after surfacing, the wood has a discrepancy in thickness. If the thick part is more than about 3mm. different to the end, the cut becomes more than the machine can manage and the wood may jam under the infeed roller as it reaches its maximum play.

Try measuring the thickest part of the wood and setting the thickness to about 2mm less, which will remove the thickest section whilst perhaps leaving the thinner part untouched. You will often need to thickness progressively in this way, using several passes to reach your desired uniform thickness.

Wax on the bed will also help.

I think it has been resolved. The springs that allow the outfeed to move were super tight due to the locking but that determine the tension. I now have movement :D

Get some machine wax and regularly polish the bed of the thicknesser and top of the planer it lowers the friction allowing the wood to feed easier under the rollers.

Back