Removing bark from cherry

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NOTTNICK

Established Member
Reaction score
I've got some really nice seasons cherry logs I am working with.
They were felled about 18 months ago and have been lying outside.
I easily stripped the bark from a couple of them, but one is being obstinate.
Is there an easy method? Or is it just going to be hard work.

Thanks
Nick

Two things with Cherry,

• 1. leave bark on as long as possible, you need to slow the natural moisture loss as much as possible.
    2. store it under cover wherever possible, leaving it out in all weathers risks it rotting, if it starts it will deteriorate rapidly.

As far as removing bark, how are you processing it, slabbing for planks or turning?

I am making a large outdoor tubular bell structure for the primary school I am leaving after 24 years. I planted the cherry soon after I started there. It got too large and was felled a year last September.
2 whole trunk pieces (about 1.6m) for the uprights, stripped of bark and finished really smooth but 'rustic' (ie. curvy) each about 15cm diameter.
Two crosspieces made from rectangular section made from a larger piece of timber that was split in half (I estimate about 20cm X 8cm in section).
I'll be using aluminium tubing for the bells. It should look amazing.
It has been sitting outside in the elements but is in really good condition, just a tiny bit of spalting.
I'm going to really soak it with preservative when it is finished.
It is just one of the whole trunks that is obstinate with the bark.

Try a Draw Knife.

SD_27cm_DK.jpg

Cherry suffers badly from worm which always starts in the sapwood, stripping the bark and outer sap earlier rather than later might help prevent it. I'm using English Cherry quite a lot at the moment and unfortunately worm means none of the boards I have is suitable for live edge furniture. Cherry bark usually drops off pretty much by itself in great long ribbons, if not a drawknife is ideal, but a drawknife isn't the easiest of tools to sharpen correctly so I wouldn't get one just for this if you're unlikely to use it again. You could get the job done with a wide chisel, and if you're a perfectionist follow up with a coarsely set spokeshave.

You'll need to go heavy with the preservative, cherry doesn't like the outdoor life!

Good luck.

Incidentally, here's a photo showing the tools I generally use for preparing a live edge piece. This will have some butterfly cleats inlaid over a split and will then become the top for a desk.

Flitch-Clean-Up.jpg

Attachments

• Flitch-Clean-Up.jpg
    Flitch-Clean-Up.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 128
custard":d7svwwbh said:
Cherry suffers badly from worm which always starts in the sapwood, stripping the bark and outer sap earlier rather than later might help prevent it. I'm using English Cherry quite a lot at the moment and unfortunately worm means none of the boards I have is suitable for live edge furniture. Cherry bark usually drops off pretty much by itself in great long ribbons, if not a drawknife is ideal, but a drawknife isn't the easiest of tools to sharpen correctly so I wouldn't get one just for this if you're unlikely to use it again. You could get the job done with a wide chisel, and if you're a perfectionist follow up with a coarsely set spokeshave.

You'll need to go heavy with the preservative, cherry doesn't like the outdoor life!

Good luck.

Thanks for this, and for the photo. I don't have a draw knife so will go with the chisel & spoke shave (that's how I cleaned up. The other piece).
My Dremell seems to get under obstinate pieces too.
I suspected that the solution to this was time and elbow grease, it generally is. Thought I'd ask just in case I was missing something.
Nick

Not sure about how far you are from loughborough but I could lend you a draw knife if you collect it

lurker":2eu94fam said:
Not sure about how far you are from loughborough but I could lend you a draw knife if you collect it

That's a really kind offer. I'll have a go with the chisel for a while then balance that with the time of a return journey from West Bridgford.
I'll let you know later.
Nick

lurker":3296pul3 said:

Hmm
A good thing I went no further, after an hour or so of stripping I realise that this piece is in bad condition and can't be used.
Bark-free firewood methinks. I'll need to re-design my piece now.

That's a shame, I could also lend you a draw knife (I have only just seen your post).

I am across town from you.

Pete

Back