What wood could this be?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyNC

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am making a small writing box/slope from an old hardwood door. It's probably no earlier than the mid 60's probably later.

It's a red wood and I would like to know what wood it is likely to be. I've guessed it to be sapele because that was heavily used in veneered doors back than and a bit later.
I've bought some sapele veneer to cover parts of the box I'm making from birch ply but it's somewhat darker.

DoorWood.jpg

Sorry about the pic, it's taken under a low energy lamp with some colour correction.

Does any one know what its likely to be?

Many thanks

Andy

Attachments

• DoorWood.jpg
    DoorWood.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 183
I removed a Teak rain/weather drip guard for the bottom of an exterior door sometime ago.

From your photo it certainly looks to be identical.

Good luck

David

I hope it's not teak, I've just seen the cost of the veneer!!! £5/sqft

The pic on the forum shows it darker than it really is, different monitors I guess (I'm at work now).

Cheers

Andy

It could be utile which was used quite a bit in the 60s and 70s, frequently as a sort of mahogany substitute. Hard to tell from the photo though. Try planing it a bit because if it reveals pink brown this might be clue to it being utile. Typically this stuff weighs between about 34 lb and 47 lbs per ft³, averaging out at about 41 lbs. Slainte.

Many thanks for your responses.

The wood in the photo is planed. I'll try and get better photo this evening. I seem to have lost all my photoshop software to do good colour correction since I bought a new computer.

I've contacted a veneer supplier and suggested I send a small sample to him to compare to his stock. This way if I don't get the correct name for the wood at least I'll get some closely matching veneer.

Cheers
Andy

It looks like meranti to me. Was an internal or external door? Lots of external doors, generically termed 'hardwood' are made in meranti.

Sapele and and utile are difficult to tell apart.

Many thanks for your replies.

I sent a sample to a veneer supplier and they found that the best match was African Mahogany.

I guess this doesn't confirm the wood but at least it has got me matching veneer.

I was an external "hardwood" door possibly fitted in the 60's so I guess that still leaves the wood type fairly open and as I have two doors I can make a few small items.

Cheers

Andy

Latest posts

Back