Taking Advantage of the Current Euro Weakness

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob_Mc

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have fancied a dedicated shooting board plane for a while but have been put off by the high price. While browsing I came across http://www.fine-tools.com who appear to have very competitively priced items sold in euro's. I purchased a Veritas shooting board plane with the PMV-11 blade for 345euro + 12euro delivery, which came out at £265 after conversion given the excellent exchange rate at present. They carry a large selection of Veritas and other quality handtools (but sadly no Lie-Nielsen). The same plane is available on classichandtools.com (who I have always found to be very competitive) for £365 delivered, nearly 38% more than I paid.

Hopefully others who are after something specific may also benefit. If anyone knows of any other attractively priced euro sites for tools then please share.

Grab it while you can.

The Euro has fallen to a twelve year low against the US dollar. These continental dealers are playing with a straight bat, selling their current stock at prices that reflect their actual purchase costs, but when their current LN/Veritas stock is exhausted they'll have no choice but to bang up their prices to reflect the diminished purchasing power of the Euro.

I bought a Veritas Router Plane with a load of blades and a Veritas #80 Style Scraper with spare blades, saved a fortune on UK prices.

I have used fine-tools a lot and quite often look at them before buying, although I bought a Quangsheng no 7 yesterday from Rutlands as they had a 10% off with free delivery, so I got it for £153 delivered (10% on top of 5% and free shipping).

On the flip side, once I noticed how strong the pound was in comparison to the euro, I've had to put a hold on my plans to buy tools from the UK.

For those having used Dieter Schmid - Fine Tools. How long did your items take to arrive please?

Just one further question regarding buying items in euro's from Fine Tools. Are there any other costs to take into account other than the postage cost, i.e. are there any import fees, credit card charges, clearance costs, etc. etc.?

I'm looking at Fine Tools and have got a few items in the basket, I'm certain there's no import taxes/duty as Germany's in the EU.

JJ1":e1uuf3r1 said:
Just one further question regarding buying items in euro's from Fine Tools. Are there any other costs to take into account other than the postage cost, i.e. are there any import fees, credit card charges, clearance costs, etc. etc.?
Germany is an EU country so it's just the same as buying from the UK.

Thanks.
I've just found out that there's a 2.95% charge for using Mastercard.

JJ1":1bnjqmtd said:
Thanks.
I've just found out that there's a 2.95% charge for using Mastercard.

I think Visa credit card has Non-Sterling Transaction fee of 2.75%.

Hi, I have been lurking for a while but I just had to register and say thanks to Rob_MC for posting this and bringing the Fine tools website to my attention.

I have been wanting a Veritas small Plough Plane and a low angle block plane for some time but have been hesitant due to the £400+ price tag to buy both. Thanks to Rob_MC I have been able to get the Plough and the better Veritas DX60 Block plane for only £270! A bargain as it works out as getting the Plough for under £50.

I have several furniture (with lots of Drawers) and home improvement projects in mind and I am looking forward to getting started!

Thanks again!

At those prices, it'd be rude not to! Got a couple of offerings on their way.

Cheers

Karl

James-1986":1lyun57c said:
DIctum do lie nielsen tools. I picked up a 4 1/2 for £250.

Tried ordering from them yesterday but their online system has a weird way of inputting your address as it expects the usual german format. Can I ask how you go round this?

I just registered and placed an order. The only bits that were different for me was the house number after the street number and the postcode before the city. It then said all fields with an * have to be filled out (they were) and the second time I clicked the button it went through.

Good prices, not as keen as fine-tools but more of a choice.

Back