Fitting Howdens kitchen units to plasterboard and stud wall.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skronk

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Want to fit 3 x 600mm double door wall units to the above. All will be screwed together, giving 1800mm run of units in my utility room. Unfortunately, where the units are going does not coincide with the studwork for fixing. I am unsure how to proceed. I take it plasterboard fixings will not do, and I cannot screw through backboard of units. The units are for crockery.

Should I cut some chipboard to fit the recess at back of units....say 1700mm wide and 720 high, screw this to studwork, then screw units to chipboard ?

Any advice appreciated !!!

Mark the wall where the fixings for the units will go. Cut a horizontal slot in the plasterboard to expose the studs, this will have to be about 6" deep and the full width of where the units are going. Insert new stud horizontally at the correct height fixing well into the vertical studs that you have exposed. Re plasterboard the area. No need to plaster as it will all be hidden by the new units. Fix new units to new horizontal studs.
For peace of mind you could fix a batten beneath the units with plasterboard screws just to help carry the vertical load.

The new stud should go up higher behind the existing plasterboard so that you have something to fix the flapping edge to.

The red blocks are the new studs you will introduce.
The top edge of your cupboards will coincide with the top edge of the slot.

The lower red blocks are there only to catch the loose flapping edge of the plasterboard. The cupboards should fix to the top red stud.

Front:
stud1.JPG

Inside the wall:
stud2.JPG

Attachments

• stud1.JPG
    stud1.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 3,051
  • stud2.JPG
    stud2.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 3,047
As Graham said, a batten underneath, will support the main load screwed and grip filled, or similarto the studs.
These will be hidden from view by the under unit coving finish, or used for the pelmet lighting under the wall cupboards.
Then fit the units in the traditional manner with plasterboard fixings, and adjust, and finally I screw a 2x1 at the very top on the wall studs and gripfilled and finally neat ( ell) brackets to the cupboard tops, These again may not be seen with the cornice fitted.
As you say, there's a lot of weight up there and collectively you should find this works very well, as I have, and not very messy either!
Regards Rodders

Graham I`ve been fitting french cleats for about 45 years now and I have yet to sacrifice any thing.
I could make a post on how to fit them from A to Z but where would be the fun in that some times to discover how a thing works you just have to do it yourself.

Thanks to all who have taken time to reply. I am sure one of the solutions will work admirably.

Thanks again.

Plasterboard fixings will easily hold the weight if they're put in properly and the boards are sound. You can stick as many in as you want until you feel comfortable, but you'll be surprised at how few you actually need. The force trying to pull the fixings out will be relatively low, most of the force will be downwards applying a compressive force to boards. They're pretty strong in compression.

It may be that it's easier to use a different method, but it's not necessary.

As an example, I have a radiator supported by nothing but four plasterboard fixings, it's 1.8m x 0.6m, so will be as heavy as your cupboards if not more.

Billy Flitch":15k5av2i said:
Graham I`ve been fitting french cleats for about 45 years now and I have yet to sacrifice any thing.
I could make a post on how to fit them from A to Z but where would be the fun in that some times to discover how a thing works you just have to do it yourself.

Fair enough Billy. I've used them myself with success. What I meant was that you would lose all the up, down, in, out, left, right adjustment that you get with a Howdens cabinet. This is often required when a wall is out, especially when you are trying to make 3 cabinets run neatly in a line.

paulrockliffe":i1qh2ncl said:
Plasterboard fixings will easily hold the weight if they're put in properly and the boards are sound. You can stick as many in as you want until you feel comfortable, but you'll be surprised at how few you actually need. The force trying to pull the fixings out will be relatively low, most of the force will be downwards applying a compressive force to boards. They're pretty strong in compression.

It may be that it's easier to use a different method, but it's not necessary.

As an example, I have a radiator supported by nothing but four plasterboard fixings, it's 1.8m x 0.6m, so will be as heavy as your cupboards if not more.

+1
Most of the weight it pushing down, you can get 4 plasterboard fixings per unit, it won't go anywhere.

Graham I know where your coming from and while I have not fitted a Howdens cab I can well imagine what you mean by the adjustment on the cab. When I fit a cab I have to have a system that works for me, on site almost every thing is on a price so there is only so much money in the job.
This is how I would do it, decide where on the cab I will fit the cleat it may be I can fit it directly behind any adjusters, hold the cleat on the wall and make a level line. Cut the cleat that goes on the wall a bit short so you can move the cab left or right.
the cleat that goes on the cab leave long and fasten just one end offer the box up support and level, mark the box where the cleat touches.
take the box down and cut the cleat and fit.that's the adjustment up and down.
If two box gables are not siting true to each other that means the cleat on the wall is not siting true from one box to the other,I always carried thin packing pieces and here is the secret, a old pack of playing cards to make very fine adjustments.

Thanks very much have a nice day on to the next job, that's how you make money. Billy.

Billy Flitch":32467to3 said:
Graham I know where your coming from and while I have not fitted a Howdens cab I can well imagine what you mean by the adjustment on the cab. When I fit a cab I have to have a system that works for me, on site almost every thing is on a price so there is only so much money in the job.
This is how I would do it, decide where on the cab I will fit the cleat it may be I can fit it directly behind any adjusters, hold the cleat on the wall and make a level line. Cut the cleat that goes on the wall a bit short so you can move the cab left or right.
the cleat that goes on the cab leave long and fasten just one end offer the box up support and level, mark the box where the cleat touches.
take the box down and cut the cleat and fit.that's the adjustment up and down.
If two box gables are not siting true to each other that means the cleat on the wall is not siting true from one box to the other,I always carried thin packing pieces and here is the secret, a old pack of playing cards to make very fine adjustments.

Thanks very much have a nice day on to the next job, that's how you make money. Billy.
=D> :wink:

A pack of cards lol, a good bit of advice there. Gives u something to do when having lunch too lol, can't believe I never thought of that...Thanks billy

I cut a slot out of the plasterboard about 40mm deep and the length of the run of units less 20mm at each end, cut a length of 12mm ply screw to studs and fasten units to that. Takes 20 mins tops.

busy builder":ivltji9n said:
I cut a slot out of the plasterboard about 40mm deep and the length of the run of units less 20mm at each end, cut a length of 12mm ply screw to studs and fasten units to that. Takes 20 mins tops.

Best option so far.

On a run of units, especially wall units. I leave them hanging loose.
Fix them together, fronts flush and in line.
Last job is tightening to the wall.
After all if they look good from the front!

xy

Back