burgess band saw help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leethesign

Reaction score
'Ello all,

Does anyone know where I can get a motor for my Burgess BK3Plus band saw.

I've tried several tool spares people, but all they've got are spare blades.... I don't need
them, I've got 21!

Any info much appreciated.

I know nothing about Burgess bandsaws.

But the replacement motor does not need to be from Burgess it could be any motor of the same horse power or slightly more from anywhere. The real issue is what is the mount like. Each mount style and size have a standardised fixing.

Best bet is probably to take the motor to an electrical repair shop and ask them for a quote and what type of motor it is and what type of mount. The quote will probably be too expensive but the data about the motor will be valuable and the price of their replacement motor may be low enough for you to buy it.

Second point is that how did the motor fail and has it really failed. Its quite hard to achieve motor failure in normal use. If it will start up with the belt off then check to see if it only needs a new capacitor as these are cheap and easy to replace.

Finally post a few pictures here and someone who knows about Burgess will be along to assist probably.

Good luck

For the cost of getting a new motor and repairing it, you may be better off getting a two wheel bandsaw. The old DeWalt ones are good and I'm sure there are more around.

As Beech has said, the motor may be ok. Tell us more about the symptoms. This sort of motor needs a capacitor to help it start - on mine it's easily seen as a big lump on the side. I had to replace the one on my Burgess - they are widely available on eBay and the usual places.

If you take the blade off, switch on and CAREFULLY spin the driven pulley, does it run then?

Of course, if you have had smoke and a nasty smell coming out of the motor, ignore all this!

Wow - all this help, thanks guys...... I don't think it's the capacitor, 'cause the motor runs when it's not under load. If I take the blade off, the motor will start and run but I can stop the pulley with my hand, so it seems to me (as a total non-electrician) that the windings may be shot. rouble is, I haven't got a suitable repair shop in my neck of the Cornish woods.
Anyway, I've attached a pic of said motor showing the front mounting plate....there's no ID plate anywhere, so I've no reference numbers to go on.

Once again, thanks for all your help - I'm grateful.
motor.gif

Attachments

• motor.gif
    motor.gif
    1.1 KB · Views: 1,082
Last time it the system rejected it 'cause it was too big.....I'll try again ......
and again.................. I cant get it small enough to send, other than that last one, so Ill have to give up on that.

Thanks anyway for all your advice

We used to have a proper motor expert on here, who gave us a really useful compilation of his advice - see here:

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums...in-the-home-workshop-updated-iss2-t35143.html

He no longer posts on this forum, but based on my use of his document when I had problems with my Burgess I think you need a new capacitor, not a new motor. (Read his document first.)

I bought mine here but check the dimensions and terminations of yours in case it's not the same. For £6 all in it's not a big risk!

Thanks Andy - I've read that - very useful.

I think I know an auto electrician - I'll have a word with him, 'cause I'm of the opinion that is the motor starts, the capacitor must be O.K. - - mind you, I could well be wrong. Anyway, I'll see what he says and go on from there.

Thanks again all

leethe sign,

The motor behaviour suggests that it is the capacitor. Starting while not under load is typical of a faulty capacitor or starting to run with a hand spinning it first is also an indicator. New capacitors are very cheap. That the motor runs does NOT indicate that the capacitor is OK as the hand start or reduced load enables a faulty capacitor to start up and support the motor.

Aaaah . right, thanks for that info beech. I'll try and get one tomorrow.

We live and learn don't we? There's something else for the knowledge databank, and I'm grateful.

It's worth a try anyroad.

If it turns out to not be the capacitor and you do need a new motor, have a look for Goldcrest Technology on ebay, Tont who owns it will give you advice on a suitable replacement motor at reasonable prices. I had a 3hp motor upgrade for my Startrite bandsaw from him a good few years ago now and it's performed faultlessly and as I recall was very price competitive with elsewhere at the time.

Having said that, I've still got the original Brooke Crompton 1 1/2 hp motor which is in very good condition and getting in the way in the workshop if it's any good for you, wouldn't want too much for it, but suspect the guys are right and it's just a capacitor you need.

Cheers, Paul

Hi Paul,

I have a Burgess bandsaw sat in the back of my shed. The motor runs perfectly, I just can't get it to track properly and have run out of patience as I have a nice new(to me) Startrite. For the cost of carrier you are welcome to have it.

PM me if you are interested

James

Oh Wow :|

Thanks so much, that's very kind of you.

Do you mean the whole caboodle or just the motor?

If you could message me with your address & postcode, I'll get a carrier to pick it up.

Thanks again

Lee

Back