Drum and edge sanders

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shed9

establiSHED member
Reaction score
Looking to purchase a decent drum and possibly an edge sander over the next few weeks. My budget is around £2,500 (ish)

The Jet 22-44 OSC seems a logical choice for a drum sander although I'm open to the plus version at this stage and even the smaller 16-32. In terms of an edge sander, the Jet OES 80 edge seems a current contender but can't find a lot of real user experience with UK users.

Any advice on the above or the suggestion of alternative machines. Seems little choice with stationary drum and edge sanding in the UK but this may be my own ignorance.

I have both of them although the edge sander is badged Axminster (but they look pretty much identical). Happy with both of them although I have had teething problems.

The coupling on the Jet drum sander between the sanding drum and the motor shaft isn't the best (although on more modern machines they may have re-designed it). I have had it or parts of it fail on a couple of occasions. I have an intermittent fault that trips the RCB but it is not sufficiently annoying for me to do anything about it. I also have noticed that the LED on the SandSmart never lights up and also the feed seems to be stalling from time to time and so possibly I am going to have to take a look at it soon. TBH the only thing stopping me is that I've not yet worked out how to get to the electronics without dismantling an awful lot. Not that I've looked that hard ! Would I buy another one? Yes.

The linisher had quite a few things wrong with it when I first got it. You can see the thread that I wrote about it herethe photos have gone AWOL. Mine came with a small table that you could fix at the end to sand small objects using the LH drum. The first was way out of true. I got a replacement but TBH not much better. However, I have never used it and so no great loss. The Jet details seem to suggest it is no longer supplied. When you adjust the table height you do need to check for 90 degrees with the sanding belt but that's not that hard to do. There seems to be a slight dip in the backing behind the belt which sometimes gives a slight dip to the straightness of the sanded surface. But I use it virtually every day. Who needs a plane?

Would I buy it again? Most definitely.

Latest posts

Back