feather edge

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A table saw, you are going to be limited to the depth of cut for the width of the boards. I don't see why you couldn't do it on a bandsaw. The problem is what are you going to cut it from? If you have to buy the timber in, it would probably be cheaper to buy the feather edge in.

Iv,e got some odds and sods i can use i only want to use the feather edge on a bird table and house how can you make them on a band saw ??

Funny enough I was milling feather edge today to tart up Moggy Mansion, my stray cat house. It's very easy to do on a bandsaw from green material and dries reasonably quickly since the slices are pretty thin. The problem would be if you want long lengths. Mine were nice and short so easily done by hand. Longer lengths would need both in and outfeed support if they were from green logs. I'm still using one of Tuffsaws 1" 1.3tpi ripper blades and on green stock those blades are absolutely fantastic. I've been taking 8" slices of solid wet oak log in 8mm veneers like a knife through butter

mock":my1m7rx7 said:
Iv,e got some odds and sods i can use i only want to use the feather edge on a bird table and house how can you make them on a band saw ??

Tilt the table a few degrees to suit your timber and set the fence again to suit the timber

Ah thought you were on about making a fence or shed.

It depends on the thickness of what you have and what you want. I would tilt the bandsaw table, cut a slice from the front, then one from the back. Flip it end over end and cut the next one from the wider piece which should square it off, and repeat as necessary. For the second cut, you could just return the table to 90 degrees. For every 2 boards, you should have returned to a straight, perpendicular face.

I just ripped my slices square, as long as they overlap sufficiently it's perfectly good at keeping the rain out. Here's a couple of snaps. I did bevel them the last time I made one but my bandsaw blade was blunt at that time and the wander wasn't helpful at all. This time I experimented with it square and its fine. I also made some 3mm thick oak shingles for a little doorway awning and turned oak "bun" feet.

That stray cat fell landed on all feet when it found my door I can tell you!

Just needs a dovecote or clock tower now :)
Moggy Mansion 6.jpg

Attachments

• Moggy Mansion 1.jpg
    Moggy Mansion 1.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 198
  • Moggy Mansion 2.jpg
    Moggy Mansion 2.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 198
  • Moggy Mansion 3.jpg
    Moggy Mansion 3.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 198
  • Moggy Mansion 4.jpg
    Moggy Mansion 4.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 197
  • Moggy Mansion 5.jpg
    Moggy Mansion 5.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 197
  • Moggy Mansion 6.jpg
    Moggy Mansion 6.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 267
Oddly I've never been a cat owner and my wife is allergic to them. This particular Moggy Mansion is for a stray that adopted us last November. We took pity on it during the cold months and the bond just grew and grew until now it basically lives on my patio (sleeps in Moggy Towers).

I'm pretty sure Madam has been mistreated because though she will coil between my legs purring like a rolls Royce V12, she wont let anyone stroke her. I feed her all the time now and she has put on a lot of weight in this last year. Her coat is pure gloss and she's the picture of health. Just wont be touched. She'll happily come in the patio doors and sleep all day on the carpet where its soft and out of the wind but as soon as she thinks the door will be shut, she's off at light speed to avoid being trapped in. Either she's just feral and is afraid of people or she's been mistreated and is afraid of people. Her stomach overrides the phobia enough to create the bond such as it is but we know our place :)

I hope the refurbished barn is to her liking :)

Random Orbital Bob":1urj2fbk said:
I hope the refurbished barn is to her liking :)

Well, if she is anything like the cats we have had, the one place she won't sleep is where you want her to!
Our current rehomed feline can probably exceed Warp speed 2 heading for her hiding place under the bed if she hears the doorbell go. No idea what had happened to her before she landed on her four paws with us, but it certainly had a lasting effect.

Back