Intercoat gloss lacquer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jabba5012

Reaction score
Hi

I'm Spraying inercoat gloss lacquer on very larger panels 8:4f
And finding it very hard not to get orange peel in it. Does anyone have any
Tips on how to stop or reduce this? Also any help or tips on gun/compressors set up would be
Great too

Thanks

Although we have no experience with Intercoat lacquers, we do have a large amount of experience with lacquers.

Orange peel generally occurs when too many thick coats have been applied which prevents the solvent evaporation. There are a few options to solve the problem

1. Adjust your spray gun setting so less product is applied to the surface
2. Thin the lacquer further with thinners
3. Use a retarding drying thinners that will prolong the open drying time

Hope that this info is of some assistance.

Regards,
Ian

Hi

Thanks for you're reply. I've already thinned it to the maximum of 40%. It says one coat should be enough.
You think it best have a few thin coats then?

The fast dry thinners may be compounding the problem, if you are applying a heavy coat? We would recommend no more that 20% thinners and applying 2-3 thin coats.

Butanol is the solvent you need to retard the drying of 2k PU...we normally recommend you start off by adding on 5%. In saying that we would recommend you try applying a couple of thin coats using the thinners you have (no more that 2%) and see how you get on.

Once this stuff if mixed it very "gulpy" and think and sprays like a web if no thinners but I'll try with only 2% see how we get on. Thank you very much for you help

What the difference in them? We've used this one a few times but always open to other suggestions.
We spray a rage of things from liquid metals to paints. Also do a rage of finishes gilding,paint finishes,artwork etc so will always need a good lacquer

2 part PU is harder wearing than 2 part AC but there is not much in it. AC is generally cheaper and is certainly more popular amongst the majority of furniture manufacturers we deal with.

Latest posts

Back