Mk1 vs mk2 chisels??!??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello,

Apparently, the Mk 2 have finer bevels, which, took a long time to develop an efficient method to do. Not many chisels at the price are as finely beveled, and I think these are the best tools available at the price.

Mike.

There you go then - no significant difference but I bet they cost more!

If I remember correctly, the AI Mk1 chisels were well regarded, but there were a number of minor improvements that could be made to them suggested by various people over the years. The handles were the same size across the range, which made the smaller ones feel a little unbalanced, and the bevel edge lands were a little 'heavy'. Ashley Iles took the opportunity to correct those niggles, and also now grind the backs very slightly concave in length (by a matter of thous) to make backing off easier. As Mike said, they found that making very fine-landed chisels reliably isn't easy, they ended up with a lot of scrappers trying different methods. They have, however, succeeded splendidly in making a very fine tool at a very fair price.

I think the cost of the Mk2's is in about the same parish as the Mk1'S.

Thanks I was just wondering that's all. Mk1 sound good to me.
I have a few mk2 and agree they are fantastic for the price.

TT

My own chisels are the MK1 versions they have larger handles than the MK2 . The grinding is more refined on the later versions but they share the same quality steel. The original 1/4 " chisel has a heavier blade section. My students sets of chisels are all the MK2 and we are very happy with them. These are the chisels we tend to recommend on most occasions for fine bench work.
Peter

Jacob":36ni8ith said:

Hello,

It is a very significant difference to those who so fine bench work. I cannot think of another, chisel that isn't twice the price or more, that is as well suited to the task, so cheap, really!

Mike.

I have just reacquired a set of Mk 1, so have both.
MK1s: all sizes have the larger handle, had variable lands and inconsistent back grinding (some requiring quite a bit of work) and were slightly springy in the smaller sizes (which I like.)
Mk2s: smaller sizes have have smaller handle, very consistent back grind and fine lands, more robust blades (which sounds at odds with Peter's experience, but was the first thing I noticed when I replaced the Mk 1s (which I had gifted)... perhaps my impression was actually a function of greater leverage from the large handles? Will check later this week)
I don't remember being taken aback by a significant price difference.

woodbrains":2b3xsnx2 said:
Jacob":2b3xsnx2 said:

Hello,

It is a very significant difference to those who so fine bench work. I cannot think of another, chisel that isn't twice the price or more, that is as well suited to the task, so cheap, really!

Mike.

Uber-fine side bevels are uber-hyped, I think...
For dovetails anything smaller than 2 mm works fine for me. In fact, theoretically, anything smaller than 4 mm should work (unless a thin dozuki is used).
Don't get me wrong, I still like finely beveled sides. They effectively make the x-section thinner, so less wedge action when chopping, easier penetration, more control.
Sam

Although not a response to your question Toby the Mk 2 are very nice indeed. I have two and they are a treat. As already mentioned they are good value.

At the time we were the only ones selling them, so I was quite involved with the process. All told it took about 18 months of development work and trial and error to get all the processes spot on, consistent and repeatable.

The other significant difference is the tapers on the bevels, Mk 1 were ground in parallel thirds so the nominal taper in thickness over the length translated to the sides. Mk 2 have a progressive taper on the side bevels and the sides stay thin all the way up.

1486038_784161648295074_8802468272859648589_o.jpg

Mark 1

1415107_676707555707151_502987044_o.jpg

Mark 2

This would have been simple enough to do with CNC, but with freehand grinding it takes quite a bit of practice to achieve; especially when you need to get several guys delivering the same result consistently. They produced a master set, which is kept in the grinding room so that everybody has the same thing to refer to. We keep the final prototypes here so that there is another independant double check on consistency. That way customers can build up a set over time and, as far as is humanly possible, they will always match.

Thanks everyone for you input. Now my follow up question..
Know what we now know would you still use mk1 chisels?

TT

Why on earth not? Same steel. Providing they work (hard for a chisel not to work) it would be a ridiculous attitude not to use them.
- from a MKII owner.

tobytools":32vr4jrg said:

TT

TT you should send the MK1 chisels to me for safe disposal and promptly buy a new set of the MK2 from us :lol:

Or on the other hand you could keep the set you already have and use them every day like I do. I have been using them the past 12 years or so. I bought mine from an Axminster show when they had them down at the Bath & West Showground.

Here is a review I wrote for Nick Gibbs at British Woodworking a couple of years ago.

http://www.peterseftonfurnitureschool.c ... review.pdf

I will post some photos later that I took this afternoon in the workshop showing my original MK1's and some I bought when I set up the School and ones we now sell - all three sets are different. They are hand made and they do vary as you would expect.

Cheers Peter

tobytools":14dal5md said:

TT

If I saw mk1 at a good price, would I buy - yes.
If I saw mk2 at a good price, would I buy - yes.
If I saw mk1 and mk2 at the same price, I'd buy mk2.

Too simple?

BugBear (mainly W&P and I Sorby)

Toby,

To quote Jacob "It's not about the tools"

Google Georgian furniture, probably not to your tastes but look at the quality and detail then think of the tools that created them.

Practice makes perfect not more tools. This applies to a fair few on here and I include myself as a guilty party.

ttfn,
Carl

I don't own any mk1 chisels I was just wondering what others thought on the matter. I only have 4 mk2 chisels.

I'm a sorby man myself. Tho I don't much mind tbh, I just like them
Matching.
That's why I do this.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/e10a7u9zyhqiy ... .34.29.jpg
All diffrent sorby chisels. Haven't got around to sharpening them yet so no comments on the bevels thank you :)

I like pretty tools as much as the next guy but when something works it works and this proves that!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/q4ccyevd4yn9y ... .13.55.jpg

Thanks everyone for you thoughts on the matter.

Practise does make perfect :)

Cheers
TT

Boo to the Kangaroo and for the love of god drop the obt. take a leaf out of Isaac's book and try R.Sorby or push the boat out with an extra 2 characters jeeez.

Won't mention the socks AGAIN.

I'm lucky my ocd only affects me locking doors and going back three times to check so mis-matched handles don't bother me and as a wiser member than I once said it makes it easier to find the right one.

Back