Gloat thread

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnPW

Established Member
Reaction score
Are we allow to have a gloat thread? For the purposes of this thread, I think tools got from family and friends, whether free or paid for, should not be included. And you have to include a pic.

Those are nice buys, but IMO out of those only the 5 wooden planes+mallet+saw at £9.40 is possibly gloat-worthy, but if you collected then they're most defintely gloat-worthy :D

My starter is a Record "war finish" no 7 for £15.

As bought:
no7.JPG

Cleaned:
no7 cleaned.JPG

I had to make a 60 mile round trip on my bike to pick up though. The handles I think are rosewood, the rear i don't think is original.

Attachments

• no7.JPG
    no7.JPG
    140.3 KB · Views: 2,146
  • no7 cleaned.JPG
    no7 cleaned.JPG
    151.1 KB · Views: 2,146
That's a great buy.

Wait until TobyTools gets here, he is the master.

Edit:

Actually my greatest achievement is probably an I.Sorby no.5

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A-very-Rare-I ... 7675.l2557

Purchased for £40 from a stall at the last David Stanley international auction. Mine isn't as good as that one (replacement iron and jappaning not perfect) but considering that place was crawling with experts and dealers its my best find to date. OK I'll admit I didn't know its value when I saw it but I did know it was rare.

Mr_P":3g787zg4 said:
That's a great buy.

Wait until TobyTools gets here, he is the master.

Speak of the devil and he shall appear ;)
Hmmmm, considering I spend an unhealthy amount of time on eBay lol.
Ok,
What you want to see,
Norris
Mitresss
Infills
Woodies
Chariots
Shoulder

Carl ask Jimi if I still have the eye;)

TT

Stanley no53 spokeshave I think,
Edward preston spokeshave,sole to Adidat
Record no 5.5ss 2 1/4" iron (rareish)
Brass bullnose by greenslade birtol sold to another ukw member (sorry can't remember who)
Stanley scarper plane with no22 toothing iron.

That was a good day

TT

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 2,082
phil.p":2k2xny4q said:
I think I should get a scarper plane. :)

Waste of time, nightmare to set up use ect, card scrapers and a no80 are the way forwards.
If you do don't waste your money on an hock replacement iron.

TT

(Do I class as a gloat)

Toby has the eye, mine now has glasses.

Whats wrong with the hock iron ?

Heard good things but never tried them.

Mr_P":3j60jt6v said:
Toby has the eye, mine now has glasses.

Whats wrong with the hock iron ?

Heard good things but never tried them.
Irons made by hock are fantastic, the scraper iron is fine but a waste of money, IMHO. Some may love it, as for the plane well get one and you tell me mate ;), but I've never taken to it, but.... I haven't sold it. Maby one day I'll go back to it but for now it's away in a box somewhere.

I just have dumb luck. If we did a thread on rip offs if probably have the eye for that too. Not anymore tho. I'm a tad smarter these days, or so I like to believe

Thanks mate
TT

Going to buy some Burmese teak boards tomorrow ;-)

Pete

tobytools":3rbr4mct said:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271495001097

Most recent purchase. For those tight jobs
TT

Nice one Toby, I love mine, it cost less as it had non matching handles, I made some new ones for it.

Pete

We need prices, otherwise how can you gloat? Come on, I think we're getting a bit too extravagant here with £160 planes, regardless of what the plane is!

To bring it down to the proper gloat-able level, here's a Record 053 adjustable mouth spokeshave for the equivalent of £2 (from a joblot).

Record 053 spokeshave.JPG

Attachments

• Record 053 spokeshave.JPG
    Record 053 spokeshave.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 1,987
Hard to price things from job lots, I'll have a bash minus £60 for this and its early days.

shoulder.jpg

Attachments

• shoulder.jpg
    shoulder.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 1,005
Racers":2hszals0 said:
tobytools":2hszals0 said:

TT

Nice one Toby, I love mine, it cost less as it had non matching handles, I made some new ones for it.

Pete

I got one of these earlier in the year having fancied one since seeing jimis on a thread. Sharpening the thing is a task and a half- if anybody masters it, I would give beer tokens if they would do mine!

marcros":r9x5dp8w said:
Racers":r9x5dp8w said:
tobytools":r9x5dp8w said:

TT

Pete

I got one of these earlier in the year having fancied one since seeing jimis on a thread. Sharpening the thing is a task and a half- if anybody masters it, I would give beer tokens if they would do mine!

I've heard that sharpening is a nightmare for these but one done it's superb, mine arrived today so not had much of a look I awaying expert advice from a friend ;)

Pete- pics of handles. I want to turn some spalted holly and make 2 new handles. I'm a tool tart.

Plane plane P

Wait for it everyone....
TT

Hi Toby

The hardest part was getting some threaded studs made as they are a nonstandard thread.
I made mine slightly larger for better control.

Pete

Back