Hammer Spiral cutter block

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Peter

That is quite stunning. I have an Elektra Beckum PT. Its going on Ebay as soon as I can find a replacement.

Thanks for that. £££££ :roll:

Caz

nathandavies":brjsji75 said:
what is the finish like at thicknesser speed? (interested/possible doubter)

nathan

This was what I was worried about as you can get a pretty good finish on most surfacers if you cut slow and fine enough, but the finish from the thicknesser was just as good :!:
Cheers Peter

by the sound of it you gave your credit card a thrashing on a new p/t?

I need to get some of that timber in the video, it's stunning, and find a project worthy of it.

nathan

I saw that cutter block on the Felder stand in Detling and posted about it here. It looked to me (intuitively at least having never actually seen it in use) to be the future of planing technology. Your live demo pretty much confirms that I suspect.

Russell turned the motor on and it was surprisingly quiet too. Very nice technology.

Yes, its really cool. I brought a new CF741 in the summer last year and this new block came out straight after. I was a bit pineappled off, as apparently you cant retrofit the new blocks to the old machines, plus, the rep never told me about it - I would have waited to get the new block on my machine...........

markturner":37jcctd4 said:
Yes, its really cool. I brought a new CF741 in the summer last year and this new block came out straight after. I was a bit pineappled off, as apparently you cant retrofit the new blocks to the old machines, plus, the rep never told me about it - I would have waited to get the new block on my machine...........

You can't retrofit the Felder spiral cutter block to a CF741, but you can retrofit a third party spiral block to a CF741, furthermore there's a furniture maker near me who actually employed a Felder engineer to do the third party spiral block installation. If I was ordering a CF741 today I'd spec it with the spiral block, but like you my CF741 pre dates this option. However, I don't feel too disadvantaged, I plane a lot of highly figured timber and I just keep a set of back bevelled knives which have always been able to cope.

Another one in the same vein is that you can't retrofit the Felder digital cross cut stop, but again there are third party solutions, I think this is higher up my shopping list than a spiral block.

By the way Mark, don't know if you do any furniture size tenoning on your CF741, but if you do I can recommend this particular piece of Felder tooling,

http://www.felder-tooling.co.uk/8head-0 ... wkzg-07210

I've just been trying it out and it's magic, wide enough for a 39mm long tenon but not too wide to drop the tooling below the CF741 table surface without fouling, so you can set up tenons completely by the numbers to match your morticing tooling and they fit like a glove.

Back