A bit of wood for another day

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grahamshed

Established Member
Reaction score
Just cut this down to make room for another shed. I am sure you all know what it is.

Oops, forgot pic :)
IMG_0037.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0037.JPG
    IMG_0037.JPG
    214.5 KB · Views: 991
Ahem, to make room for another shed eh! cough cough, that Laburnum is in the way dear.

Hmm I was going by the colour (after making a point not long ago about how colour is not a good guide! tut tut!! :oops: )

Well you got me with that one Graham, there seems to be a distinct separation between sapwood and heartwood, with the sapwood being very thin, normally that indicates a fairly slow growth, but the rings seem widely spaced indicating exactly the opposite! The texture of the cut also seems torn somewhat, which leads me to think of something softish, but what?

Could it be False Acacia? Robinia? It doesn't grow round here so I am unfamiliar with the bark of small branches, it doesn't seem to fit the pics I have of the mature trees bark.

It's a puzzle to me. :?:

My perverse sense of humour was hoping this would drag on for a while but Woodfarmer got it in one. Sumach, or stagshorn, it is.
Not a branch Kim, the main trunk.

Grahamshed":2jci3zjo said:
My perverse sense of humour was hoping this would drag on for a while but Woodfarmer got it in one. Sumach, or stagshorn, it is.
Not a branch Kim, the main trunk.

looks good when turned if you don't end up glued to the floor from the resin. I would hang on to it if I were you.

Ah, that's pretty interesting, although I have seen the trees, I have not seen the timber before, nice one Graham! :)

a few turnings on google images look great - thanks for sowing the seed of an idea, (there's one in our garden I've been willing to die to, err....
make room for a shed!!
Time to look for the copper nails, methinks

Back