Wood ID

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmybigfoot

Established Member
Reaction score
I purchased two 8x1 1" boards believed to be old elm window seats. Anyway.... Today I got round to planning a bit and it stinks of minty alcohol and I immediately thought that it is a pine species.
Can anyone help me ID it.
Jim
5e6yhube.jpg
5a2eqetu.jpg
desy2uhy.jpg

Look like ash to me. I have some white ash that looks very similar, it that in its raw state or is there finish on that as it looks very yellow?

Matt

Looks like hemlock. Can't smell it though. Email the smell and I will tell you instantly.

Its not pink so not Doug Fir so I would go with Hemlock.

Pete

elm smells of cat pee, from what i recall. It was 12 months since I machined any. My board was definately brown, and nowhere near as light as taht picture. Ash, I have never noticed a smell with and I made my bench from both native and American ash.

I took it into college because I'm on my 5th year at furniture making college in France and he told me it was ceder as soon as he smelt it. It smells minty combined with old pub smell. Quite nice I must say. I'll take some end grain pics on Monday.
They were originally window seats so I've been told, but then the bloke that sold me them said they were elm! lol.
Thanks for your comments.
Jim

From my experience of cedar, that look too light in colour. Unless it's a different variation of cedar that is.

EDIT: I've just Googled, I've only ever used red cedar and didn't know there was a white cedar :oops:

I wonder if wood colours change according to the soil type etc. Are two trees ever exactly the same ?

These planks are very old so I've been told and are a caramel colour. I'm guessing 60s. The flash on my camera didn't help. I'll take some proper ones on Monday.

Back