hand drill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alun Gru

Reaction score
Picked up a hand drill today at a car boot sale for one whole pound! it didnt turn but it does now with the help of wd40, I am at a loss as I can not get the drill bit out of it it seems stuck and thats afters drowning it in wd40 as well any ideas on how to remove it! please

For a start stop using WD40. The WD part means Water Displacement. It is not a penetrating oil, not a lubricant and not useful in freeing up rusted or seized parts.

Best choice is a 50/50 mix of Brake Fluid and acetone. For acetone use nail varnish remover its cheap in a 300ml bottle from Tesco. Soak the affected parts liberally, maybe for 48/72 hrs and keep trying to move the parts about by hand or spanner or vice.

regards
Al

Personally I'd pick up a bottle of Tesco Value mineral motor oil and stick some in a glass jar then suspend the drill in it up to the top of the chuck for a few days.

If you don't mind the smell, the stationary engine restoration boys use diesel - cheap enough to use in quantity, and a very light "oil".

Fill a container, and dunk the item in it for a few days.

BugBear

You could spend another pound on a second one in better condition. They are really common but seen as unnecessary by those who only like power tools so easy to find. This could be cheaper than buying various lubricants.

AndyT":3b25apgt said:
You could spend another pound on a second one in better condition. They are really common but seen as unnecessary by those who only like power tools so easy to find. This could be cheaper than buying various lubricants.

You're right!

BugBear

Put the chuck on a piece of wood and whack it with a wooden mallet a couple of times. I am assuming the chuck won't turn or the jaws won't release. Or take the chuck off and soak in vinegar. (After you de-grease.)

Alternatively - if you have done the brake fluid thing then stand the drill upside down on the end of its handle; hopefully with the brace/turning handle out at an angle, hold the chuck tightly and whack the knob of the turning handle hard with your fist. Its always worked for me and I have the bruises to prove it. Might take one or two thumps but the chuck should suddenly 'give'

Regards (and I am totally not responsible for any ensuing hospitalisation)

Lawrence

TobyC":2dcg3hd8 said:
Put the chuck on a piece of wood and whack it with a wooden mallet a couple of times. I am assuming the chuck won't turn or the jaws won't release. Or take the chuck off and soak in vinegar. (After you de-grease.)

Toby I must say your avatar is freaking me out :!: I am going to bed now just hope I can sleep.

Back