Lathe Help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-Matt-

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all.
Not sure quite how to put all this so I'll keep it simple and as short as possible.

I have a Record Power DML36SH and I have a few problems with it.

I purchased it in January 2013 and around 6 months later it developed a problem whereby the handle on the toolrest banjo would no longer tighten up against the toolrest post. This turned out to be stripped threads in the banjo. It looks to me to be a particularly soft casting for it to tear its threads out so easily. I currently have two bolts (one in each positional hole) to hold the toolrest but of course this is annoying when changing the height of the rest or changing rests all together.

The second problem is roughly similar in that it concerns threads. The other day it developed a slight knocking when turned on and investigation showed a loose grubscrew in the motor-side pulley. It was loose because the lower grub (there are two in the same hole, top one to keep the bottom one from unscrewing during use) had ended up with worn threads.

Its manufacture dates show it to be made 2012 so going on that and the time of year it is now, its roughly a year old.
I know RP have the 5 year guarentee thing, but how far and to what extend to this go to?
Am I best e-mailing RP and explaining the situation? I would mend it myself but of course this would void any guarentee if I need proper help from RP.

Thoughts and help please :)

Thank you.

~Matt~

Hi Matt

Go back to the supplier and ask them to sort it out. The Sale of Goods Act will apply and they have to have a chance to sort it out before you ask for your money back. I had a Record DML for more than 20 years and no problems whatsoever but they were made in Sheffield then.

Regards Keith

Yes, contact Record Power. No sense fiddling with it yourself as it`s still under guarantee. If the threads have stripped it is surely a manufacturing fault and RP are obliged to fix it to your satisfaction.

Ian

Thank you all for the replies and help

Wizard and Keith: Yes, bought new direct from the RP website who sent the order out to my closest dealer who was up near Scarborough, N.Yorks (I myself am in York).

I suppose I'm best off e-mailing them as I thought and let them work out how they go about a suitable replacement/solution.

Thanks again
-Matt-

Back