Woodrat advice sought

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harvestbarn

Established Member
Reaction score
I am setting up a new workshop and think I would like a Woodrat for jointing. I have read most of the posts and note that there were many people unhappy with the earlier models, with the change to the silver aluminium top did this address the problem. I intend buying a seconhand unit and as far as I can see they do not have a serial number that will show its upgrade position what should one look for.

I currently posses a SIP 1500W 1/2" router which is fairly new and has performed to date very well, I also have a very old Elu MOF96 whilst rather rusty it has cleaned up well and has a gutsy 600W moter are either of these suitable for the rat.
If not what would you recomend Dewalt, Triton, Hitachi.....?

Welcome....the dewalt 645 is what the woodrat was designed to use, bt as you bore the holes for fixing the base plate almost any would do it, if it physically fits 'on top'. The mof 96 is a lovely wee machine and I have used it on my rat. My mof was about 1982 and still nice to hold much due to its weight. I have the rat but have never got down to using it 'properly' as there is always something else to do. Another time around I would probably not buy one but use all the other jigs udeas or tenons etc, that are available to make yourself. It is good for the small dovetauls so it largely depunds upoon what you are keen to use it for. At cost of several 100 pounds it is a lot of kit not to use it a lot. The sip router is the same as the jcb, etc and a bit crude although I have never looked at any run-out, etc. Which ever you go for you may need to take off or adjst the turret to fit., Best wishes.

Best wishes.

Thanks for the welcome and advice. I had never had a router and had not realized just how useful it was otherwise would probably have bought a more refined model than the SIP. Having said that the SIP is very good used in hand with fences but does not seem to have the bushing for some jigs such as the Leigh available. Fixing inverted is also difficult .

I am looking for a WR900 at the moment.

Kind regards

yes ...routers are a marvelous tool. My sip I have in a table and it is fine. It is just that I like my old elu best. I aslo have a 645 which is alot beefier. A table can open up to all sorts of things as can looking for home made jigs and other ideas on u-tube, etc. I couldn't/wouldn't be without aroter. Like most tools you learn what you need but also what you don't need. Your sip is perfect for fixing into a table and with 'better' makes costing a lot it is still a good buy for you. Simplisty is some times best so look up what the very recently passed away Ron Fox + Wealden routers says on the subject. You could go far to find better advice. Best wishes.

Just a thought,

Depending on space a budget, a spindle moulder would be far more versatile, give you more opportunities and would I am sure become in deispensable.

Thanks twothumbs i will have a look at what Ron Fox + Wealden routers says.

I have already put in a secondhand Axminster AWC4 250 deluxe Universal machine which with some new bearings and some TLC is now running very well. A spindle moulder is included and I have recently bought a Universal Hand block 40x4 & 50x4 from Wealden but not many cutters to date. I thought the Woodrat would be useful for dovetail , finger joints and mortice joints. As I have not had a spindle moulder before it may prove more useful than expected.

Thanks both of you for advice

Hi harvestbarn, a friend has his woodrat on ebay ending saturday item No 221327956916 if you are interested. No good to me as i use the leigh system.

sawdust1":1mg5dcib said:
a friend has his woodrat on ebay
"home-made chip extractor" Just how old is that vacuum cleaner ? My parents had one like that in the 1960s!

Hi Rhossydd, yeh the poor old boy is in his 80's, half deaf and in poor health, and looks in the same condition as that chip extractor. He has been a good furniture maker for 30 odd years, but now is past it, although he tries to do what he can, anything big he passes on to me.

deema":3qc3bnyi said:
Just a thought,

Depending on space a budget, a spindle moulder would be far more versatile, give you more opportunities and would I am sure become in deispensable.

If the guy is a beginner then definitely NOT! Routers remove fingers. Spindle moulders remove hands.

Hi harvestbarn, purchased 1997, he got the woodrat and i got the leigh at the same time. The woodrat will do smaller finer dovetails than the leigh, other than that they do the same stuff.

Back