Hand planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nippychippy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks I have an plan of getting or trying to get one of every Stanley plane and then make a case for them for display and use can any one give me advice on what to look out for I have gotten a few of eBay with the boxes which I am very happy with does anyone know of a catalog of Stanley planes any help great fully appreciated

Cheers robert

Google Patrick's Blood & Gore. Make a cuppa and settle in for an hour or two of entertaining reading.

If you are really planning one of every model, I hope you've got a fat cheque book (a lot of the rarer models fetch astronomical prices).

Cheers, Vann.

Never mind a cabinet - if you manage to collect all those, you'll need a medium-sized house for them all!

(Not a bad long-term ambition, though.....)

Ye that's the plan life time plan ha ha thanks for the help folks there are a lot of people inheriting things and not sure what they are nearly giving them away so hopefully

:oops: maybe I should have done some research first before post my dream it seems now ha ha :shock: just read down to the no.2c plane I am amazed then when to eBay and looked for a no2 and one is starting of at 375 :shock: :D oh we'll I might need t win the lotto

Nippychippy":3lrbtrot said:
:oops: maybe I should have done some research first before post my dream it seems now ha ha :shock: just read down to the no.2c plane I am amazed then when to eBay and looked for a no2 and one is starting of at 375 :shock: :D oh we'll I might need t win the lotto

Wait till you have to get the no1 with original sw iron in good con, about a grand.
With the collection are you just getting any type or a specific era,
USA stanley or made in England, maybe something to have a think about. I prefer the older low knob stanley with the blank lever caps.
Will you also get the bedrocks and transitionals.
Could be fun keep us posted
TT

Graham I feel sick looking at that it might try for any era but not the handy man ones I'll keep everyone posted I'll take a photo of what I got all ready

Stanley collecting is so well established that you will need to be comfortable with paying quite high prices for the most useless models, which only ever sold in tiny quantities, just for the sake of getting a "complete set".
I can't see the point of that myself.

Nippychippy":1ywcmaxc said:
Graham I feel sick looking at that it might try for any era but not the handy man ones I'll keep everyone posted I'll take a photo of what I got all ready

They are vastly over priced. Car boots are the place. You may not get very old ones but 1930's onwards are very common. You will get a #4 and #5 for £15 each a #6 is scarce so sell for more and you shouldn't pay more than £60 for a #7........the #1 ................hold on to your hat even if you can find one. As already suggested Blood and Gore is a good read http://learni.st/learnings/848-the-supe ... ard_id=225

Good luck with you collection, should you find a Stanley No. 1...That would be worthly of pictures and a large gloat!

Bod

Bod":27drymsn said:
Good luck with you collection, should you find a Stanley No. 1...That would be worthly of pictures and a large gloat!

Bod

The No. 1 is only the rarest Stanley bench plane. It's far from the being the rarest Stanley plane.

BugBear

uhy7unyp.jpg
ehe5ejum.jpg

That's just three so far they have all there bits and pieces

bugbear":1hnnv96s said:
tobytools":1hnnv96s said:
I know several people selling no1 and 2
Pm me if you want more info.

No's 1 and 2 are easy to find. Finding them cheap is another matter!

BugBear

True,
For some who know dealers and peoples in the business.
A lot of people probably don't know when to get one for cash now,
Anyways I was offered a no1 for about £500 of a guy I met at a market in wimbourne.
He's a serious collector and hinted he had several or each.
(£500 isn't cheap but it's a good price all the same)

A plane I've never seen is a stanley no11 bull nose rabbet plane. Now acquiring this will cost you a huge amount unless well spotted at a carboot or joblot.

TT

Latest posts

Back