Orangey mark on maple - Damage or natural feature? (picture)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tetsuaiga

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm just finishing this project and after unfortunately this mark has appeared.

21245_zpsdd420fe4.jpg

If I remember right this section was close to the edge of the timber board. I'm wondering whether it's some natural feature in the timber or a mark left from the machining process like say from roller pressure.

I'd like to sand it out if its only very shallow but I can't go too far without spoiling the shape of the piece. I guess there must be a way to hide these marks with some kind of product to alter colour but being fairly new to woodworking I wouldn't really know where to start with that.

Anyone have an opinion? Thx

It's hard to tell from the picture, but if I had to guess I'd say it's some kind of grease/oil stain.
Could it have come into contact with something like this.
I once had a routing/sanding mat thing that persistently left oily marks on timber.
Regardless of what it is, I think you'll have to take off the finish to sort it out sorry.

All the best.
Adam.

Thanks. I should say in the picture it looks far more obvious that it infact is, it doesnt contrast nearly as much so isn't the best picture to have shown.

It hasn't come into any contact with oil or grease after I got it no, it came to be as rough sawn board, the edge in shot was close to the original board edge. I just wish there was some way I could tell how far into the wood it goes before I start sanding. It seems it could be fariy far in as the top edge was rounded over and with the streak to the right it doesn't dissapear as it does left.

Could be a mark left by bearers when the timber was first being dried. Just a thought.

What finish is on the piece?
Is there a chance this could be a water mark, or glue mark?
I can't imagine it's a sticker mark unless the board was stickered on edge.
Regardless of the cause I think you'll need to remove the finish to sort it out.
It looks like a fairly high build finish, so I'd guess there'd be a fair amount of refinishing to do.
If it's a stain, you may be able to hide it with oxalic acid.
Do you have an offcut you could try it on first?
If you want some oxalic acid, I'd be happy to post you a bit .

One last thought.Would it be possible to trim the whole of that edge, or is it size crtitical? (I can't tell what it is from the photo, but it looks like you've done a good job of letting in the walnut(?)).

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

All the best.
Adam.

Tetsuaiga":335gfu6z said:
Anyone have an opinion? Thx
It may be a mark caused by the metal (steel) banding used to band up packs of timber (hard maple I think in this case) prior to shipping, especially if some moisture has managed to work its way under the banding, perhaps during transport on a flat bed lorry from the kiln operator to the wholesaler, or some other part of the journey. Slainte.

Aces and Eights":cye6atjz said:
I think Richard has it.
Not necessarily-- it may just be mineral staining which is fairly common in maple and sycamore, as well as many other wood species, but the mark is suspiciously regular so that's why I suspect band staining as a possible culprit. I've seen similar marks many times. Slainte.

I think it could well be what Sgian suggested. Either way i've learnt i'll need to check the sides of my planks more carefully. I tried to keep it right up to the edge to minimise waste, I can't remember if I planed that edge but I didn't notice the mark.

It's had some more sanding without altering the shape in a noticable way and given a coat of finish. It's still visible now but a big improvement so can't have been too deep.

111111_zpsd46780c8.jpg

Oh and the finish is just Tru Oil. I'm not sure if I like it that much its nice and easy to apply and restore patches but seems pretty soft.

Back