Bosch Multitool

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Myfordman

AKA 9Fingers
Reaction score
My Bosch delta sander PDA120E has died with a snapped drive shaft and no spares are available. I have made a bodge replacement part to complete the current job but I don't know how long this will last.

Bosch have also dropped this style of sander - which is great for getting into corners in favour of the mouse/palm type which I don't want due to lack of versatility.

I see that their multitool PMF180E can also be used as a sander but how effective is it?

My concern is that the delta sander has an orbital action where as the multitool has a small swing radial action - subtly different.

What does the team think please?

I am only interested in Bosch machines as I can get these cheap through the staff shop as a Siemens pensioner.

I've used the cheaper green Bosch multi-tool for a few jobs in the last few years, including a bit of sanding back of drywall/filler in a cloakroom refurb, and for that it was very effective with coarse grit papers. Don't know how well it would turn out on finer work but seemed effective to me for the basic prep' at least.

I have read that as for all of these type of machines you have to keep to lower speeds otherwise you can overheat the sanding pad and melt the velcro, and the cheap one was very good value but does sound like a bag of spanners when you switch it on so don't know how well it would last if used heavily/extensively. The blue Bosch range should be better build quality and maybe better to use for longer periods ?

Cheers, Paul

I bought one recently as my delta sander finally expired. I was amazed to find that the era of the delta sander seems to have passed and only my selection appeared to be limited to multi tools. The sander in my opinion works fine, but not as well as my old dedicated sander. Just keep it on a slow speed.

deema":1p1epoaq said:
I bought one recently as my delta sander finally expired. I was amazed to find that the era of the delta sander seems to have passed and only my selection appeared to be limited to multi tools. The sander in my opinion works fine, but not as well as my old dedicated sander. Just keep it on a slow speed.

Thanks Deema. Yes I've had just the same experience as you when searching for a replacement in the green range.
Bosch still do the blue delta sander but even with my discount that is over a ton which is more than I wanted to pay for a single use tool..
Thanks for the tip on speeds from you both.

I bought the Bosch (green) over a year ago and it has been very useful for cutting but only occasionally (I don't reach for it first because of the silly prices on the blades). I have used it quite a lot for sanding though and it does a nice job (ear protectors a must) although I don't have a delta sander to compare it with. I have read that you tend to wear away the edges and corners of the abrasive first because of the oscillating action and that does seem to be the case. I like the tool. I have tried connecting a domestic vacuum to the dust outlet but the draught through the tool is not enough to cool the motor of the vacuum which was pretty hot it a short time. I think I'll make a 'by-pass' cut in the pipe to allow in a cooling stream of air.

Thanks to you guys for the tip about speed - I hadn't thought of that (duhh) and my backing pad is a bit worn already.

K

@Myfordman:

I also have the Bosch Multitool (green). As others have already said it's a pretty good general purpose sander with a couple of buts:

1. If using coarse abrasives (40, 60 grit, etc) don't press too hard to clear the material 'cos otherwise the "plastic" pad with the "male" Velcro hooks on it tends to melt. (No, DON'T ask!), but DO notice that you can buy them as spares (so I suppose I'm not the only one).

2. If going for a final finish sanding job (say, 400 or 600 grit - it IS available, but about as rare as hens teeth here in Switzerland anyway), then keep the speed up, your pressure on the tool low (as above), and have a good vacuum cleaner on the tool (I use a Kaercher shopvac). But for a really nice "final-final" sand I still finish off with a mouse (a little B&D in my case).

The Bosch is also a pretty noisy tool but that doesn't bother me too much.

And I find it a pretty useful saw for difficult areas too, the blades do wear quite well if used sensibly (no forcing), and again here they're not too expensive (and there are several makes to choose from as well as Bosch's own).

All in all I'd recommend the Bosch for hobby/DIY use and IMO it's a good price/performance/longevity ratio (equivalent to about 65 quid when I bought mine about 3 or 4 years ago and it's had quite a lot of use since) with no probs so far - apart from melting that mounting pad for the sanders but as above, that was my fault).

But if you're professional earning money with his tools every day, or if you just prefer really good, top quality stuff and have the wallet to match then I'd recommend the Swiss-made Fein Multimaster set (I tried one once, it's really very nice, quieter and better balanced and seems beautifully made, but at about 4 times the price of the Bosch I just couldn't justify it - pity).

Hope that helps.

Krgds
AES

AES":24bcaraf said:
.... I'd recommend the Swiss-made Fein Multimaster set (I tried one once, it's really very nice, quieter and better balanced and seems beautifully made, but at about 4 times the price of the Bosch I just couldn't justify it - pity).

Hope that helps.

Krgds
AES

I'd second that and add that the price seems to have dropped a bit. I've just treated myself to a new one with the Quick replace blade fitting to replace my old one. Beautiful.

Back