First lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malc75

Established Member
Reaction score
Just yesterday got my first lathe, only a cheap Clarke's one, but all I can afford at the moment. My local wood supplier suggested sycamore as a good wood to start on so I one and only turning so far is a new pull for the bathroom light! I most certainly can't afford a scroll chuck so will have to content myself with a faceplate and jam chuck for now. So it's practice, practice, practice! I know my lathe is the bottom of the food chain but hope you guys will be kind to me and answer any question I may have :D

Hi

Don't let starting with a basic lathe concern you, turning is 90% down to the skill of the turner and only 10% to the tooling - you only have to look at what was produced in the past without all the 'bells and whistles' we have nowadays.

I started with one of these

http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/acatalog/CWL2 ... _Lathe.jpg

and made this with it

Shetland%20Wheel%203.jpg

By then I had added a scroll chuck to my tooling - but I could have easily made the wheel without it.

My advice for the moment would be to read and practice all you can - and most of all enjoy it, you'll be surprised at how quickly you will pick up the basics. If you can get someone to help you one to one - even better.

Regards Mick

Attachments

• Shetland%20Wheel%203.jpg
    Shetland%20Wheel%203.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 1,328
+1, don't fret about the lathe.....you got it spot on when you said practice...that really is the key...along with some instruction, other learning aids to speed up time and avoid the bear traps.

+2 and you wont Go wrong with Bobs comments its simply practice and enjoy your hobby don't think yourself as professional as long as you enjoy that's what counts don't be bothered if you mess up you will learn by your mistakes my attitude is if you like what you make and ere in doors seconds it that's the half way point.
Regards
Bill

I'm no exert but I think it's more to do with the tools than the lathe itself. You'll be up against it if they are not kept sharp, and the thing is with blunt tools you may not know what the problem is unless you have sharp tools to compare with. That can be very frustrating. So if I was in your place I'd stick with the basic lathe for now, and spend any extra on good turning tools and a means of keeping them sharp. Then you can enjoy the hobby instead of fighting against things.

K

Spindle":2680rlgx said:
Hi

and made this with it

By then I had added a scroll chuck to my tooling - but I could have easily made the wheel without it.

Out of interest, was that the design that appeared in Practical Woodworking some time in the ?1980s?? It looks identical to SWMBO's wheel, made from that design on a Gamages version of the early Coronet. Without a scroll chuck in sight! (not sure they'd even been invented then!)

At the moment I am using cheap tools from Machine Mart but as finances permit I will be buying better quality ones and my question is which ones to buy first. Would a skew chisel be the first maybe followed by a spindle gouge? All answers gratefully received.

Hi

Depends on what you intend to make:

For bowls I'd recommend either a 3/8" or 1/2" bowl gouge with an 1/8" parting tool to follow

For spindles, a 3/4" roughing gouge and a 3/8" spindle gouge - closely followed by an 1/8" parting tool. Leave the skew to a little later.

Regards Mick

I would leave off the skew for the time being. It is fairly difficult to master, and can be one of the most dangerous as it is all too easy to get a catch and have timber come flying off the lathe.
I would go for spindle gouge & bowl gouge, followed by parting tool.
Invest a bit of time building a sharpening jig too. With the jig you can be sure to keep an identical grind every time. Have a look at Capn. Eddie Castelin's website & youtube channel for his sharpening jig system. A similar set up can be built from timber if you don't have access to welding equipment.
A chuck is not an essential bit of equipment, it just helps make some tasks easier and is a bit more convenient. It's all too easy to want to produce stuff folk can easily recognise from the lathe. I have a box full of honey dippers & candle holders, egg cups etc. in the shed which will never see the light of day. Excellent practice stuff, and if you turn out something decent then all the better.
I do a double ended candle holder which is easily achieved using a simple screw chuck and jam chuck. Simple design, and perfect for practising riding the bevel on your tools.
tea-candle2-small_zps70c2b055.jpg

Those are early examples without inserts. When I turn them now I turn them to take the Ikea glass tealight holders, and use a stop end plumbing fitting at the narrow end to protect the wood from the heat candles give off.

Back