Planer thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frosties

Established Member
Reaction score
With that kind of budget, you could seriously look at a second hand Wadkin "family" (Bursgreen and Robinson too) machine, Examples like this and this do come up in this price range occasionally and smaller machines like *this* could easily leave you with 200 pounds chae from 1500; though you might have to consider adding an inverter or converter unit to get the most machine for your money.

Thanks Jelly. I did think about it but I was hoping to have the planer on wheels to move it out the way when need be and the wadkin family are a bit bulky for that. I am considering it though.
Thanks for your time and comments

frosties":1i4ahkgc said:
Thanks Jelly. I did think about it but I was hoping to have the planer on wheels to move it out the way when need be and the wadkin family are a bit bulky for that. I am considering it though.
Thanks for your time and comments

As long as it's been maintained well, that smaller machine (which appears to be bolted to a board on wheels) should significantly outperform what you'll get for the same money new, and as they take serrated knives are cheaper on consumables too.

Palletline will move an item that size for fifty to sixty quid, so long as the seller will palletise it for collection.

I'll pipe down again now :oops:

frosties":30fec4b8 said:
Ok, I'm after a new planer thicknesser and so far its a toss up between the
A. Jet 310 http://www.axminster.co.uk/jet-jet-jpt- ... rod365313/
B. and the start right http://www.recordpower.co.uk/product/hd ... r--1-phase
C. Something better that I had not thought about. W

Would love to hear from members who have either of these machines or that can advise on anything below £2000 mark

Hi Frosties

I have been using the Record 10 x 6 planer thicknesser for the past 6yrs and it gives a very clean cut. The sliding fence is of aluminiun so not 110% accurate (i added an 1" thick Oak guide and longer ) because of dismounting to do your thicknessing.
Have done some accurate work with this and a Jet surface planer ( made of solid steel).
The record is around £550 ish and the Jet ( if you can still get them) around £500. Oh , also you get a 5yr guarrantee with record and it has an integral wheel trolley. That really useful.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Lesk :)

Hey... ( first post for me)

I also have the recordpower 10x6", it is a decent machine but the wheels on the stand have all but given up on my one (6 months old)....easily replaced I suppose but they are weak...my floor is pretty even as well.

Nonetheless, I would recommend it for the price is fair.

I have the SD300. Have owned it for a little over a year now. My buying requirements were to overcome the weaknesses of cheap models in the sub £1000 bracket.

Specifically, I wanted a three knife cutter block, long tables, 12" tables and both tables and fence to be cast iron as I use rare earth magnet feather boards for smaller stock

I also wanted the thicknessing bed to be well supported and the changeover from planing to thicknessing to be possible in under a minute, pref 30 seconds ( a real bug bear in cheaper machines)

My last three were the jet you mention, the startrite and the Axminster equivalent

In the end I went for the startrite as I got £200 off at an exhibition and it ticked all the boxes. I absolutely love it....never looked back....it's bullet proof. The jet was my second but it was no functional gain for tons more money

Back