New to wood turning

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joiner.8

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I have just joined the forum and would like some advice I am a joiner to trade and retired now so am interested in purchasing a wood turning lathe.

I have limited space in my garage but would still like to setup a lathe and don’t think i will be interested in turning the big stuff, maybe 12″ bowls or some small spindle work I have been looking at 2 lathes a record DML 305 and a Record DML 320 variable speed the DML 320 seem to be alot cheaper than the DML 305, as a starter to wood turning can anybody give me some advice on which of the two i should be looking at .

Regards Dewar

Buy the best (and arguably the biggest) you can afford. Variable speed is great, you'd never go back once you've had one. Reverse is good, too, but not essential. This might be worth a look - full-woodturning-setup-for-sale-t107528.html
Nothing to do with me. Don't forget you can easily spend as much on tools, drive centres and chucks as you will the lathe. Like ebay, see what comes with them.

Oh, and if possible join a club before you buy, and definitely buy a newer edition of this - http://www.waterstonesmarketplace.com/b ... &hs=Submit

Back