Record planer thicknesser rebuild

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mock

Established Member
Reaction score
Help required ok i have rebuilt my Record planer thicknesser as the cogs the chain runs on have sheared off anyway all parts bought and put back together motor running as it should but i noticed a burning smell coming from the back of the machine as in the photo attached .So could it be because i sprayed the table top with wd 40 and a little bit as gone on the spindle ?? making the belt spin i stupidly touched the spindle nut as in the photo it was red hot :oops: apart from that what does the belt actually do ?? And if there was a mistake with my rewiring would the motor start and run with out triping ??
ALAN

Attachments

• DSCF8960.jpg
    DSCF8960.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 126
  • DSCF8961.jpg
    DSCF8961.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 126
Does that spindle have sprockets in it ?
I can't see any.
I am not familiar with P/T's, looking at this thread with interest
Tom

Hi no there is no thread on the spindle just the nut and washer don't really know what it does ?

if we`re talking about the same thing its the drive for your thicknesser which can be disconnected for planing and connected for thicknessing
all the best
rob

Same setup as the Elekra Beckum.

Normally the belt is permanently connected.

The belt does just run on the shaft if the shaft/nut gets hot I would think unless the planer block is not rotating freely the most likely suspect is the belt just slipping, as you say could be oil overspray.

Try cleaning the belt, spindle and plastic wheel with mentholated spirit or similar. May also just need a new belt

I cannot comment on the cause but I do not think it is WD40. I used to use it to stop fan belts on cars squeaking, it never caused them to slip.

well i hope it was the wd 40 but don't forget there are no grooves or threads on the spindle for the belt to run on and the belt it's self is smooth so fingers crossed for me tomorrow :roll: Well i waited over night for the belt and spindle to dry out so this morning i chalked the spindle and belt and away she went :D thank's for the help guys
ALAN

Back