Kitchen Showrooms- which ones to go to?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrDavidRoberts

Established Member
Reaction score
I will be starting kitchen demo soon and I'm making plans for the kitchen right now, I have no actual Intention to purchase anything as I will make everything myself So I'm a total tire kicker :D . However... I would like to browse around and get some ideas about what kind of materials/sinks/worktops/designs etc. I want in mine and just to confirm few plans I have ,seeing countless of online images is one thing..other is actually going in and seeing it for myself :D

I have had a quick look at some of the sheds while picking up some stuff, Homebase- they had absolutely terrible quality stuff on displays #-o , B&Q if I remember was a bit better but still total Meh...low quality chipboard rubbish everywhere :( Wickes probably was the best, but still mostly very low quality stuff for the prices they ask for them. Also I visited some Magnet kitchens, but the one I visited was really really small without much on display. Are there any large national Kitchen chains like for tiles they have Tilegiant/topps, is there something for kitchens as well where they have loads of designs in store and have something a bit more quality?

Thanks in advance :)

Howdens. We have 2 locally; one is small with no display but the other is large and has quite a few on display. Only middling quality cabinetry though.

pcb1962":lq94ch1c said:
Worth looking at IKEA
I really hate going to that store..because of their Mazes from which you can't get out :D
Do they stock something upmarket/decent quality as well or only the new ''super-stylish'' made from chipboard garbage you have to throw away every few years?

MrDavidRoberts":3mu7603k said:
Do they stock something upmarket/decent quality as well or only the new ''super-stylish'' made from chipboard garbage you have to throw away every few years?

I like Ikea, great for ideas.
It is disposable furniture but amazingly cheap.

MrDavidRoberts":1vj4ukda said:
You said you were looking for ideas, not for stuff to buy, so why would it matter to you what it's made from?
And yes they do have one or two ideas that you don't see in conventional British kitchen design.

MrDavidRoberts":guhth8ib said:
pcb1962":guhth8ib said:
Worth looking at IKEA
I really hate going to that store..because of their Mazes from which you can't get out :D

Their kitchens come with a 20 year guarantee.

Every Ikea I have been to has had a map of the "maze" at the entrance to the store. There are plenty of internal shortcuts from one area to another - there is no need to walk past everything if you don't want to.

For ideas I would buy a couple of kitchen magazines. Then go to all the big brands that advertise and have a really good poke around at functionality, fittings, aesthetics, appliances, etc. Get a scrapbook going of ideas you like. I am in the same boat currently asI will be making our next kitchen. I am aiming for top quality.

You list as living in Chester, I guarantee that if you take the trouble to look in your local papers and online there will be dozens of independant kitchen showrooms within fairly easy reach. They tend to have better quality and different layouts from the normal sheds although quality of the units isn't of importance as all you're looking to do is pinch ideas.

I bet the staff at B&Q, Homebase etc just loved wasting time listening to you "kicking tyres" and rubbishing the products they need to sell to make a living. :lol: Nothing wrong with Ikea either, easy to find your way around if you look at the plan and the shortcut signs, or, buy a compass. :wink:

One other "advantage" of IKEA (though I too always get lost there!!!) is that their stores (here anyway) always seem to have a better & bigger range of "accessories" - by which I mean stuff you will almost certainly end up buying, regardless of whether you make your own cabinets or not - e.g. towel rails; drawer dividers; griddles & trivets; spice jar holders; etc, etc, etc.

I've found this sort of stuff surprisingly difficult to come by elsewhere, you often have to go to several different shops, and it's often more expensive than IKEA when you do find stuff you want.

AES

AES":25r9zqi0 said:
One other "advantage" of IKEA (though I too always get lost there!!!) is that their stores (here anyway) always seem to have a better & bigger range of "accessories" - by which I mean stuff you will almost certainly end up buying, regardless of whether you make your own cabinets or not - e.g. towel rails; drawer dividers; griddles & trivets; spice jar holders; etc, etc, etc.

I've found this sort of stuff surprisingly difficult to come by elsewhere, you often have to go to several different shops, and it's often more expensive than IKEA when you do find stuff you want.

AES

There's another advantage as well....coffee and bacon sarnie for a quid :lol:

No probs Lons. The ham they do here is second to none, but the bacon is absolutely awful - just as well they don't do bacon sarnies #-o (one of the - few - things I really miss).

AES

Back