hallway console - radiator cover

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dromo1999

Reaction score
hi all,

was just asking in the general forum where y'all find some decent wood.

promised i would show a project or two.

here are two projects i did from welded steel with reclaimed oak parquet. Dont have many build pics but hopefully someone is interested.

please comment good or bad and help a learner out!

Jimboooooo

Attachments

• Door closeup v2.jpg
    Door closeup v2.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 1,222
  • Console 1 v2.jpg
    Console 1 v2.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 1,222
they look really smart, nice to see your work.
Only question I'd ask is, have you put any gap at the top to let the heat rise from the radiator? I'd be concerned about all the heat building up in the top. May not be an issue but that would be my only concern.
I remember a guy fitting a lovely new oak lintel above a fire place and thought "that looks nice but it looks like its steaming!" then when I got closer I realised it was steaming!! the timber was so hot it burnt you to touch it. suffice to say the landlord had to call the guy back in to put a fireproof board on the underside of the lintel. Didn't look as nice but less likely to burn the pub down!!
looking forward to more projects.
regarding your other thread, i'd change the title to "where to find quality timber in west london"
You'll then be inundated by advise from guys local to you.

Sorry Adam, didnt see the comment.

I have not left a gap behind the wall and the back. you are absolutely right and the heat build up is considerable. I have about 4 ot 5 coats of finish (tung oil i think). the wodd has begun to shrink a bit despite being 100yrs old. and sitting glued onto a 1/4 inch plywood sheet.

I was thinking about putting some of the reflective radiator foil underneath but may have to cut some holes in the back unfortunately.... unless anyone else hasa bright idea?

I really like both of those projects, especially the door! On Ebay a while back I saw shelves being sold that go a few inches above the radiator. I thought about making something similar myself. It's selling point was the heat is forced from going straight up but out and around the shelf, heating the room better.
With that in mind, I think your version is great, perhaps a strip of thin metal on the underside might prevent the wood from shrinking moving as much.

Where did you get the door wheels from ? It's superb !!!

Coley

thanks all.

I think i will attach some radiator reflector underneath.

The door mechanism is from amazon:
"HOMCOM Modern Sliding Barn Door Closet Hardware Track Kit Track System Unit for Single Wooden Door 6FT /1830mm"

I looked a long time for the right one and was very pleased with the quality and finish of the hardware. did plan on rigging up a swiss familly robonson style rope pulley and counterweight to pull the door open.... Am going to fit rope cleats from a boat as the handles.

cheers all

Jimboooo

Back