Bench face vice jaws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkDennehy

Established Member
Reaction score
So I was using a spokeshave the other day on my lovely new bench and then the thing I was spokeshaving (yeah, probably the wrong word, I'm rolling with it) shifted. "That's odd" thought I, "isn't the vice meant to stop that?".

Harumph.

IMG_9459a.jpg

Seems two little woodscrews are insufficient to the task on a softwood jaw vice. It's back in and holding for the moment, but I'm coming to the thought that an off-cut of 2x4 is probably not the best material to use for this (I did think I'd have to redo them, but not this soon).

So, anyone got any hints on (a) what kind of wood is best suited for being a jaw vice, and (b) how best to secure the jaw to the vice? Those little screws don't quite look beefy enough anymore...

The holes in the vice are usually threaded so the cheek can be bolted with a counterbored bolt and washer from the inside. I've not long re done mine with a piece of spruce, on the theory that I'd rather that distort or bruise than whatever I am holding in it.

Like Phil said.
The holes on my old Record vice are tapped 5/16" Whitworth which should be easy enough to find.

I've got 18mm ply lined with leather in mine. Amazing holding power. Cheap and easy to replace, I also had some kicking around, almost anything would do.

Matt

You could reattach that soft wood cheek but drill all the way through, then countersink the holes on the face side to accept a nut and washer.
Feed the bolt through the vice.

I have just made some from sycamore.

MarkDennehy":3hlsu5qi said:
So, anyone got any hints on (a) what kind of wood is best suited for being a jaw vice, and (b) how best to secure the jaw to the vice? Those little screws don't quite look beefy enough anymore...
I use 1" beech cut like your softwood jaw, with a corresponding beech fixed jaw let into the front of the workbench. The screws have held for at least 10 years, probably longer.

Yet another option would be to put plastic wall plugs into the wood you already have. A spot of glue might be needed, depending on how much depth and what sort of plugs you have to hand.

On my vice the holes are threaded and I think intended to have machine screws from the cheeks through into the threaded holes. I have a load of the correct threaded countersunk screws. PM me and I'll stick a couple in the post.
b4c5abba8b747742c2b5711617e4b608.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back