How Much does it costs you to get to Shop?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

owsnap

Established Member
Reaction score
The traffic over here is just nuts, although my local toolstation/screwfix is only 7miles away I decided to time how long does it takes me to get there.. well from putting on my shoes till getting back home and taking off my shoes it took me 1 hour 5minutes.
So it cost me £1.80 in fuel to get there&back ( only 40mpg due to city-traffic)

Let's say that my useless time which I spend driving is still worth £10 an hour, so that would come out to £10.5
all in all £10.5 +£1.8= £12.3 , that's if you dont count wear/other expenses of your vehicle.

Toolstation does next day free delivery for orders over just £10!
I thought I'm the smart one by ''saving'' £3-£4 every time when I just collect my stuff instead of let various shops send it to me.. Turns out It cost me even more...

The government calculate mileage at 45p per mile and that's based on depreciation, tax insurance maintenance etc so your journey really cost you more like 6.30 plus your £10.5 so £16.35.

And that's based on a pretty low hourly rate. However you did get the item today so you potentially saved wasted time by having to wait for something to arrive before you could continue to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It all boils down to how much you value your spare time against doing chores. If you do the weekly shop online (30 minutes?) you could save two hours driving & shopping so you're 1.5 hours better off and it's cost you £5. Bargain in my opinion. Similarly some people would prefer spare time rather than doing the ironing or cleaning so even though that might save you 3 hours per week, you could pay someone else that same 3 hours (at whatever cost) and you've got more time to do what you WANT to do, not what you NEED to do.

Whether it's shopping, housework, gardening, DIY or even woodworking (which to some people would be a chore) it's all a balance and everyone's is different.

i'm very lucky where i live, machine mart, toolstation, screwfix, about 5 mins from home, wickes virtually round the corner, b&q about 20 mins, and supermarket shopping i do on a saturday morning usually get there around 7 in the morning and from leaving home to getting back home takes me about 1/2 an hour,

dynax":2k7t3jv9 said:
i'm very lucky where i live, machine mart, toolstation, screwfix, about 5 mins from home, wickes virtually round the corner, b&q about 20 mins, and supermarket shopping i do on a saturday morning usually get there around 7 in the morning and from leaving home to getting back home takes me about 1/2 an hour,
You are more lucky than you think you are! =D>

owsnap":1sgm9etj said:
The traffic over here is just nuts, although my local toolstation/screwfix is only 7miles away I decided to time how long does it takes me to get there.. well from putting on my shoes till getting back home and taking off my shoes it took me 1 hour 5minutes.
So it cost me £1.80 in fuel to get there&back ( only 40mpg due to city-traffic)

Let's say that my useless time which I spend driving is still worth £10 an hour, so that would come out to £10.5
all in all £10.5 +£1.8= £12.3 , that's if you dont count wear/other expenses of your vehicle.

Toolstation does next day free delivery for orders over just £10!
I thought I'm the smart one by ''saving'' £3-£4 every time when I just collect my stuff instead of let various shops send it to me.. Turns out It cost me even more...

Where is here ?
England
Finland
Newcastle
Where?

DiscoStu":3vzfmksz said:
The government calculate mileage at 45p per mile and that's based on depreciation, tax insurance maintenance etc so your journey really cost you more like 6.30 plus your £10.5 so £16.35.

And that's based on a pretty low hourly rate. However you did get the item today so you potentially saved wasted time by having to wait for something to arrive before you could continue to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

90% of my trips to store are just to get something ASAP so I could continue work, Just hadn't looked before at how much exactly it costs just to hop in a car and go get a box of £2 fixings

They say that if Bill Gates drops a fifty pound note, financially at least in some imaginary time and motion study, it's not worth his time bending down to pick it up.
Dunno if that helps.
I reckon it would hit the back of his head as it was falling. Because he has perspective.
I dropped a shunt (think 'about 1/4 pound of metal abseiling equipment') off a roof once by mistake. It was a mistake. Let's be clear. That shunt fell 6 floors, it missed a glassed roof estate agents directly below in the shopping mall (Rochester, if you're wondering) by about 3" and it made a bang so loud you'd have thought a bomb went off. Time slowed as I dropped it, open mouthed and the inner voice screaming ( in slow motion), 'Noooooooooooo' and then sped up in direct proportion as it landed and madly, didn't kill anyone. And sped up even more as I went down my rope faster than the SAS dropping in on the Lybian Embassy for a nice cup of tea before anyone found out what happened.
What did it cost me?
Probably, indirectly at least an indiscriminate amount of time shaved of my life for shock. Probably cost me some of my youthful Derring Do.
What did I not lose? My job. I was fast down those ropes. 7 years of freedom for manslaughter. I was lucky. The guilt of having killed or injured someone by a mistake of mine? A lifetime.

I'm not knocking anyone. I'm just saying. careful how you measure worth.

“Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.” Mr Einstein.

:D
Chris

Tbf, from the roof it was just a glass roofed shop. I only found out it was an estate agents when I got off my ropes. We did wonder about trying it again with an old 2CV but the crane costs of getting it to the roof were prohibitive. If the shop next door had been a Solicitor and not a picture framing business we probably would have scraped the cash together. Lets be honest we could have done a charity collection and been quids in afterwards.

Owsnap,

That's a pretty impressive fish you have there.
Are there many like that in Finland?
Is it a recent catch?

Bm101":yid7mft3 said:
If the shop next door had been a Solicitor and not a picture framing business we probably would have scraped the cash together. Lets be honest we could have done a charity collection and been quids in afterwards.

We'd have won in the end, so just as well.

Back