Lathe mounting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mal

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm off to Yandles for the show this weekend, with the intention of buying a new CL4.
My question is, what is preferable, mounting the lathe on a bench, or splashing out for the leg stands?
I assume its down to personal preference, but I am thinking of making a heavy duty bench from 90mm x 90mm aluminium extrusion with the top work area of 2m x 800mm. Should be solid enough to stop any vibration!

A bench mounting will be preferable for vibration freedom as long as it has sufficient weight. I owned a CL4 for 3.5 years and did have the stand. The stand can be bolted to the floor and it was useful for mounting a shelf on using the cross struts. So its more about choice really, both solutions can be rigged to manage vibration. I do like the idea of a dedicated bench though for reasons beyond vibration which is storage and quick access to chucks and other daily used paraphilia. The corollary is of course that any flat surface close to the lathe will get covered (and I mean covered) with shavings very quickly making access to tools difficult, especially small things unless they're raised on shelves.

Horses for courses really. Space is another consideration, a bench mounted lathe will cost you worktop space but pay you in shelving (underneath) storage.

Random Orbital Bob":2mpq48bd said:
..... The corollary is of course that any flat surface close to the lathe will get covered (and I mean covered) with shavings very quickly making access to tools difficult, especially small things unless they're raised on shelves.

Horses for courses really. Space is another consideration, a bench mounted lathe will cost you worktop space but pay you in shelving (underneath) storage.
Dust/shavings contamination of easy access open bench shelves was a niggle to me until a forum member pointed out the obvious of fixing a simple curtain along the front of the bench.

Having used the principal for years to contain dust and debris from equipment it had failed to register it also was the solution to keeping contaminants out.

I personally like to have a lathe on a generous bench top for the ease of in use tool and finish products placement *, just remember to ensure you have a generous hand clearance under the lathe bed to access debris and any adjustment controls needed. I.E. Possibly a slightly lower bench and place headstock and bed fixing on blocks.

* also the occasional dropped screw or component has less real estate to get lost in.

I have mine on a bench and find it useful as it catches all of the shavings as well as somewhere to put chisels in use at the ends.

CHJ":3ulhb8o4 said:
[
also the occasional dropped screw or component has less real estate to get lost in.

What do you mean I could loose a screw in an empty room :lol:

Thanks for the replies guys.

Bench is now in construction mode, will post a pic when built :)

The new bench is now in situ and ready for my new CL4 bought at the weekend
I have left the top channel free to fix some kind of membrane or curtain as recommended by Chas, to keep shavings etc from building up on the bottom shelf.
The thing weighs a ton, so hopefully will be sufficient! :)

SAM_1125_zpsg56cu4xi.jpg

SAM_1127_zpsjntsnijy.jpg

SAM_1126_zpsazj5lsox.jpg

Looks a really substantial bench, nicely constructed.

What is going top made from, as it will need to be strong and thick enough to bold the lathe to or have support blocks underneath to bolt the lathe to. More pics as you set it all up?

I see there were several CL4's awaiting pickup in the collection tent at Yandles on Saturday, so looked as though it was a good seller.

Phil

Latest posts

Back