Quangsheng Shoulder Plane Passaround

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matthewwh

Established Member
Reaction score
Luban_Shoulder_Plane_zoom0.jpg

This is a passaround for the new Quangsheng Luban No.92 Shoulder Plane.

We send out a brand new plane to the first person, when they have finished trying it out, they pop it in the post to the next person and they have a go with it for a few days, two or three ideally to keep things rolling along.

Post your thoughts, photos, reviews etc on this thread, and when you are finished, you post it on to the next person.

Recorded delivery please.
In fairness to the other participants, please keep it to UK areas served by Royal Mail first and second class post.
The passaround is open to all current forum members as of 28/6/14.

If you'd like to take part, just copy and paste the list into your reply and add your username at the bottom, then send a private message with your real name and address to the person before you.

Here's the start of the list:

Workshop Heaven
Marcros
Tobytools...

Nice to see a vendor do this and as already mentioned, it would be nice to see some dealers doing this in the states. I certainly would like to try some of the brands constantly bashed over here, such as Woodriver, the new Stanley or the Kunz Premium line.

Workshop Heaven
Marcros
Tobytools...
G S Haydon
Glynne
Mike S
Fluffflinger

Matthew if this is too many let me know.

What a great idea! Trusting of a supplier, but also a great way to get people interested in a product as well as getting it promoted. Best of all, it shows that the supplier has faith in their product to start with.

If this is still open then;

Workshop Heaven
Marcros
Tobytools...
G S Haydon
Glynne
Mike S
Flufflinger
Noggsy

I have just received the plane. I will have a go with it and get it in the post to Toby on Tuesday.

Mark

I did something similar on a photography forum with a large number of original DVDs of photographic interest, they did the rounds for over 5 years with most people keeping them for about 2 weeks each, they only returned home a little the worst for wear a couple of weeks ago.

Whilst I would like to have taken part, I am not really conversant enough with hand tools to make a valued judgment, but I will certainly watch the replies in this thread with interest.

Ed,

Nor am I so don't worry. I think that I may be in the market for a shoulder plane and am using this to see whether it will do the job that I have in mind for it. I don't have any other shoulder planes (nor have used one) so my criteria are:

1. If I had paid for this plane would I be happy with what I received and
2. Will it do what I need it to or would a different plane suit better.

Don't be put off if you fancy having a go with it- all you need to do is cut a tenon, rebate etc for it to be tried in anger.

marcros":20bg9qe2 said:
Ed,

Nor am I so don't worry. I think that I may be in the market for a shoulder plane and am using this to see whether it will do the job that I have in mind for it. I don't have any other shoulder planes (nor have used one) so my criteria are:

1. If I had paid for this plane would I be happy with what I received and
2. Will it do what I need it to or would a different plane suit better.

Don't be put off if you fancy having a go with it- all you need to do is cut a tenon, rebate etc for it to be tried in anger.

Well, I have had a good play with this plane, and am ready to send it on to Toby. I am not going to I a full review because I have nothing to compare it to.

This is my first quangsheng plane. I have seven old stanley/records and a little LN block plane. As received the plane was new and the quality was very good. I didn't particularly like the black areas on it but that was more aesthetics than anything else. If I had spent my hard earned cash on this I would be quite happy with what I received and if I was looking for a new plane I would certainly look at the quangsheng range.

The reason that I wanted to borrow this plane was to try using it for cleaning up rebates on some boxes that I have planned. I have started one over the last couple of days to try this out. For this task, the plane was too large and a bit heavy for one handed use. This I suspect was my own fault and it was never designed for such- but such is life. I also tried it on a larger rebate where it was certainly impressive in its performance.

I think that I am going to have a look at the clifton 400 as an alternative, or the veritas miniature shoulder plane. For the jobs that I typically make these smaller scale planes will be more appropriate (I think) and will still be able to tackle the odd bigger job that I need it for.

Thank you for the pass around Matthew.

Mark

Toby

The plane is on its way to you by recorded delivery- I have put it in its original packaging and all into a mailing bag. I have chucked a couple of spare bags in, in case you need one to forward it on- not everybody has packaging to hand! It has been sent second class recorded so will need a signature.

mark

If I could be added to the list that would be wonderful. I was in the last Paring Chisel pass-around and that was very useful.

Back