Last man standing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I absolutely do not need a new block plane. But that film made me realise it's my patriotic duty to order one right away!

Thanks for the link by the way!

Interesting to see dome of the tooling they use.

Bloody annoying music, but a nice little vid.

undergroundhunter":3gdhp9cp said:
That's some super speedy saw sharpening, love the toothing machine.

Matt

I think it's a setting machine, which is even more impressive...

... er never mind, I see both. The setting machine caught my attention.

custard":3of381xv said:
I absolutely do not need a new block plane. But that film made me realise it's my patriotic duty to order one right away!

I presume your comment was a bit tongue in cheek, (if not, apologies) but I think you're right.

We all moan about the decline (or death) of the British tool industry and here's a company not only making some very nice kit but also obviously trying to reboot the image of British toolmaking (as well as some good marketing). I'll be getting one in my next tool buying frenzy (sometime in December I suspect)

Excellent video. I hope it gets featured on every woodwork blog and helps raise the sales they deserve.

And it's especially nice to see the speed a professional saw sharpener works at!

Zeddedhed":30xl3iya said:
custard":30xl3iya said:

I presume your comment was a bit tongue in cheek, (if not, apologies) but I think you're right.

We all moan about the decline (or death) of the British tool industry and here's a company not only making some very nice kit but also obviously trying to reboot the image of British toolmaking (as well as some good marketing). I'll be getting one in my next tool buying frenzy (sometime in December I suspect)

I'm completely serious. I don't need a block plane, but I'm going to get of those. Chiefly because I'd like a quality British hand tool maker to survive. So a Lie Nielsen block plane will go onto Ebay and I'll put the proceeds towards a new Clifton block plane.

Nice to see a good mix of technology and hand skills being used - and some younger craftsmen as well.

Duncan

custard":3qys11kn said:
Zeddedhed":3qys11kn said:
custard":3qys11kn said:

I'm completely serious. I don't need a block plane, but I'm going to get of those. Chiefly because I'd like a quality British hand tool maker to survive. So a Lie Nielsen block plane will go onto Ebay and I'll put the proceeds towards a new Clifton block plane.

Good on yer!!

Not too sure about selling my Lie Nielsen block plane though. I think I'll just add to my collection...

Well found Mr Sefton! Thank you very much for sharing An interesting and excellent vid, which does deservedly showcase their work.
I don't know if I was that fast on the file when i was sharpening handsaws in the saw shop, and he didn't drag the file
on the back stroke either!
Was that the rare, lesser spotted apprentice I see at the end?
All very good stuff!
Regards Rodders

Interesting film.

Is a worry though when you look at the lack of young blood to keep the craftsmanship alive.

Thanks Peter
If the saw filer ever wants a bus mans holiday I have a few saws, they will only take him a few minutes.
The simple fact is to keep even that small number of people working they need to sell a good number of planes. I bought my block plane when it was first released. I am pleased to say it is a pleasure to use. I do wish it had dimples it would improve the grip and aesthetics.
We need to encourage them to grow and develop the range

PAC1":253z5tdp said:
Thanks Peter
If the saw filer ever wants a bus mans holiday I have a few saws, they will only take him a few minutes.
The simple fact is to keep even that small number of people working they need to sell a good number of planes. I bought my block plane when it was first released. I am pleased to say it is a pleasure to use. I do wish it had dimples it would improve the grip and aesthetics.
We need to encourage them to grow and develop the range

Do you like the internal widening of the casting at the blades mouth? This was part of my input to improve lateral adjustment at the prototype stage.

Sorry my dimples request didn't make it to production.

Cheers Peter

griggs":17zu2ngr said:
Interesting film.

Is a worry though when you look at the lack of young blood to keep the craftsmanship alive.

If the customers are there the skills will be maintained. if the customers aren't there then the skills won't be either. The only thing you can do is to buy a Clifton product, your money will feed directly in to the continuity of that industrial heritage.

Having said that I sometimes think we fret unduly about skills being "lost". People in the past invented these techniques, and if the will is there then people in the future can re-invent them. Phil Edwards didn't apprentice in making a moulding plane, but he's a smart and determined chap so he figured it out for himself.

What a fantastic video. I still can't get over the speed of that saw sharpening! Truly amazing.

Jonny

Back