Tool Review, Lie Nielsen 60 1/2 Block Plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RossJarvis

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry, no pictures. Personally I find a low angle block plane is essential, well at least very useful.

My last one was a modernish English Stanley which required a lot of fettling to get right. The sole was rough and hollowed and the blade bed was not parallel to the sole. Once fettled it was very good.

Unfortunately due to too many falls onto concrete floors it's knob fell off (ooh-er missus).

So I decided to buy a Lie Nielsen version. Why was this? Well I couldn't be a are ess ee dee to fettle another Stanley and have always hankered after a quality heirloom tool. Bit of a shame that.

The tool arrived well wrapped and potentially ready to roll. I personally prefer a sharper polished edge so honed the iron a bit better. The tool looked good, the sole and sides were well ground and finished and it could be used effectively out of the box...........But. The adjustable front plate does not lock effectively so closes up and there is no real lateral adjustment. Both of these are quite major faults in my mind. The slipping "mouth" is a real pain and shouldn't occur, plus the lack of lateral adjustment doesn't suit my style of planing.

Not impressed overall. However I am impressed by the fit and finish of the thing. The sliding mouth is a serious flaw, the lateral adjustment doesn't suit me.

Have a look at the 102 from LN. It's my favourite block plane. For a little heavier block plane with lateral adjustment, I use the Veritas low angle block plane.

Yep I have both Lie Nielsen 102 & 103 block planes. A pure joy to use and other than a little polishing/sharpening of the blade that took minutes, they are both faultless. I have large hands but find they seem to fit beautifully in my paws, considering they are LN's smaller block planes. They are also absolutely lovely to look at and would easily sit on a shelf in my sittingroom (if I weren't married) but hey, I openly admit I have issues!

I also have the standard Lie Nielsen block plane which also is a dream to use, however I must admit, I reach for my 102 more than any other block plane. Also - they're made from manganese bronze so no bloody rust to worry about, just keep the blade dripping in oil.

Jonny

Just to add, I have just received a very courteous and detailed response to my griping email to Lie Nielsen. I'd have to say that their fit and finish is top notch and customer service is too. I suppose I had very high expectations, a little let down. Can't fault the company itself and the product will probably suit everyone apart from a grumpy old meanie like me.

Woodchips2":3w111kj3 said:
Hi Ross, what was their response to the slipping mouth?
Regards Keith

Hiya Keth

Dismantle the mouth and knob, clean up everything and re-mantle. I've done this today and tried it out a bit, it seems to be working but I haven't been as vigorous as I was.

They've been very helpful and will give more help if necessary, so can't fault customer support.

Back