Olaf Christmas decoration/card

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColeyS1

Established Member
Reaction score
My god daughters obsessed with anything from the frozen dvd so I thought I'd try to make her a Christmas decoration/card.
I printed out a small olaf picture for my workmates kid then we cut it out on the scrollsaw to hang on the Christmas tree. The plan was to do the same, just a tad bigger.
c97fedff8481b0979120cc8bc723a3e2.jpg

I routed a small groove in some of the picture to just pick out some of the lines. Bit rough and ready and a little bit wobbly :roll:
f0d01d2bc37b02bf7548a7df3683a251.jpg

Rather than keep the entire thing flat I though it might be a little more quirky to have some parts of it sticking out
dc93770728c24b098debf77ccebe762f.jpg

32fa9a7b9d99057a4b4ce414c9d1ff07.jpg

I used different thicknesses of mdf but aint entirely convinced it'll look right.
I dusted off the lathe which was rather fun to use again
d2ad577ff77ea1788b48169b25ecd9e2.jpg

Originally the nose was 90 degrees to the back but it didn't look right so I cut it a little skewiff which I think looks a bit better ;)
5455f582a0575978db3e0ee842d99169.jpg

Every things in primer now ready for different colours to be added each day. I've got all the colours except an orange for the nose. I'm tempted to try mixing some dulux red gloss that I've got with some dulux yellow satin - what's the worst that could happen :lol:

I'm not sure what would happen by mixing the paint (gloss and satin) but you've invested your time and effort into creating something your God daughter will cherish, do you want to risk binning it for the price of a tin of paint?

I would buy the paint, the look on her face will be worth it.

By the way, I've been in your position, unfortunately I ruined a piece of artwork (it meant more to me than a piece of wood), never again will I take the 'risky' cheaper route.

Baldhead

My granddaughter is 8 she also likes Frozen, I'm not showing her this simply because she will say, "grandad that's great can you make me one", it is great but I've not got the time!

im sure she will be delighted with this - especially as no one else will have one - it was specially made for her.
btw if it turns out half as good as the mdf jack russel you have - it will be great.
cheers paul-c

It is looking great I am sure it will be liked when finished.

I would go to the local artist shop and get either acrylic artist paints which you can wash the brushes in water or oil paints. I use the System 3 acrylic ones and then seal them with any acrylic varnish the one I use is Polyvine crystal clear varnish as it does not discolour the white or lighter colours. These are fine for indoors

Baldhead":273bf30f said:
I'm not sure what would happen by mixing the paint (gloss and satin) but you've invested your time and effort into creating something your God daughter will cherish, do you want to risk binning it for the price of a tin of paint?

I would buy the paint, the look on her face will be worth it.

By the way, I've been in your position, unfortunately I ruined a piece of artwork (it meant more to me than a piece of wood), never again will I take the 'risky' cheaper route.

Baldhead

My granddaughter is 8 she also likes Frozen, I'm not showing her this simply because she will say, "grandad that's great can you make me one", it is great but I've not got the time!
I managed to find a similar satin colour that I thought atleast would do as a basecoat
336a1cf4dbff8098229ab5ea0dbee342.jpg

After a bit of searching I managed to find a tin of tigger orange....in gloss though :mrgreen: I'm guessing it'll be fine on top of satin ? I've found all the colours I need now, some in satin, some gloss so hopefully shouldn't have to buy any new colours. It's the thought of seeing her reaction that keeps me plodding along, plus it's pretty enjoyable seeing all the pieces come together :)

paul-c":3mua6jso said:
im sure she will be delighted with this - especially as no one else will have one - it was specially made for her.
btw if it turns out half as good as the mdf jack russel you have - it will be great.
cheers paul-c
Thanks Paul ;) Drew Pritchard always puts his dog in photos to get a sense of scale and Olly always seems so willing to participate :p

Dalboy":2o2ur4wo said:

I would go to the local artist shop and get either acrylic artist paints which you can wash the brushes in water or oil paints. I use the System 3 acrylic ones and then seal them with any acrylic varnish the one I use is Polyvine crystal clear varnish as it does not discolour the white or lighter colours. These are fine for indoors
Thanks for those links !!!!! I've dreamt of finding a paint system similar to that but just didn't know what to search for ;) I bought a range of paints from tesco but was less than impressed with the results. Over the years I've built up quite a selection of normal dulux satin type 1 litre tins- the downside being minimum size for mixing was a litre which is around the 20 quid mark :eek: depending on what she's into next year I might have another to do :)

ColeyS1":37izelwq said:
Dalboy":37izelwq said:

Thanks for those links !!!!! I've dreamt of finding a paint system similar to that but just didn't know what to search for ;) I bought a range of paints from tesco but was less than impressed with the results. Over the years I've built up quite a selection of normal dulux satin type 1 litre tins- the downside being minimum size for mixing was a litre which is around the 20 quid mark :eek: depending on what she's into next year I might have another to do :)

Something I found with the paints is to slightly water it down in a little tub but this is something you will get use to as you use them.

Dalboy":t02ubd4j said:
ColeyS1":t02ubd4j said:
Dalboy":t02ubd4j said:

Something I found with the paints is to slightly water it down in a little tub but this is something you will get use to as you use them.
Thanks for the tip ;) do you use ordinary wood primer before you start with the paints you suggested ?

gwaithcoed":2q3k0ufa said:
Excellent project, I'm sure she will be delighted.

Alan.
Thanks Alan, I hope so. I've been sick as a dog all week but have managed to get a lick of paint on each day. The one coat brown gloss took 3 coats to cover, its a bit rough looking :lol:
88679fe74bd09a65e1556e22aec516a9.jpg

I managed to get over shop earlier and have screwed on most of the loose parts.
I'm painting the final black lines and eyes now. It appears im a 'smear paint everywhere and wipe off the excess' kinda guy :roll: dunno whether its my nerves or old age but the line painting is fair shh shhh shhh shaky !

ColeyS1":2v4xobhz said:
Thanks for the tip ;) do you use ordinary wood primer before you start with the paints you suggested ?

I have done with no problems but try and use acrylic type paints. I have painted straight onto wood as well as MDF

The first is straight onto wood and then finished with spray acrylic varnish and the second is straight onto MDF with Polyvine crystal clear varnish the third had undercoat for the white the black and other colours are the artist paints again this was finised with the polyvine varnish. You may need two applications depending on the wood type

DSCF1919_zps6e040f71.jpg

2014-12-17001006_zpsc4fe11f9.jpg

DSCF0781.jpg

Your projects really do look that extra special being painted ! I particularly like Santa clauses beard- must have took ages to get it looking like that ;)

I screwed the last bits on today- relieved I finished it in time :D
27221b5d290449b7112aa5f51d5864ec.jpg

Originally I made the stick on flappy card to go on the right leg, but after hanging it on the wall the other leg seemed more appropriate.
d13a31939e4b3f23923e52685ce6f459.jpg

I stuck it on with a small bit of double sided tape, so if she chooses to keep it on her wall after the festive period it should be easy to alter.
b6865b034ce03f0e02c7208528eb7b26.jpg

I no longer "want to build a snowman" :)

Looking forward to next years project with some new paints to try !!!

Merry Christmas everyone ;)

Coley

Cheers for the praise guys ;) It took a while to figure out how to make an envelope for it but got there in the end.
2f011612944da8ece35cdb5fbf19c39e.jpg

How anyone can not like Christmas when you see how excited kids are is beyond me- I'm really looking forward to it, even if it is just so I can kick back and relax for a couple days.

Back