It's a letter rack

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrimper

Established Member
Reaction score
It's a letter rack and not an owl in sight!
I made it up by using some patterns from an old 1911 hobbies plan, the original pattern was for a sort of wall hanging rack, I scanned parts of it into photoshop then turned it into a table standing rack so it is totally unique though I must admit it's not very pretty!

No idea what the timber is, it was a large end of a log the colour is like oak but it's not oak it's more tropical timber, possibly was used to make door frames, it is really dense and hard to cut. i have had this lump of wood in my wood shed for 20+years it was about 3" x 8" x 18", I ripped it into 3"x 3/8" strips then edge glued them to make some nice fretwork panels about 9"x 1/4".

Attachments

• P1010938 (Medium).JPG
    P1010938 (Medium).JPG
    133.4 KB · Views: 882
  • P1010942 (Medium).JPG
    P1010942 (Medium).JPG
    136.3 KB · Views: 882
That's really nice John and as you say, very unique, a one off that no one could ever buy in a shop, that is the beauty of scroll sawing, we can conjure up an idea, get working at it on the computer, print off a pattern and before we know it we have a very nice wonderful creation such as your letter rack. It obviously took a while to cut all those parts but I suspect you enjoyed every moment. It's so fulfilling when we make something like this and slowly seeing it all come together. Well done John.

That looks much better than you are giving credit for, John. I might copy that seeing as we have letters all over the place, mostly unopened if they are addressed to me. :D

Is that a Pan European hiding in the background?

If you want a copy of my design let me know.

There is indeed a pan hiding in the corner

Attachments

• PA100040 (Large).JPG
    PA100040 (Large).JPG
    181 KB · Views: 846
Lovely design and a very nice piece of cutting, well done.

Can't comment on the gorgeous looking machine as mine had mirrors all of it in the 60's . . . herrrum . . . I'll get me coat - or should that be a parka?

Having now blotted me copybook, big style, I guess a copy of the plan is out of the question?

Barry

Nice work Scrimper, and very useful. As for the Pan, these days my wife won't let me near the frying pan let alone the 2 wheeled Pan. All I can do these days is remember the wind in my teeth and the bugs in my hair..... "sigh"
Regards
Brendan

Nice letter rack, the cutting looks very clean. The bike is nice as well, the only motorbike, (if you can call it that) I ever owned was a Honda 90, one of those blue ones with the white leg guards and I very often wonder what it would have been like to have ridden a proper beast.
Thanks for showing
Sam

Back