They do not make them like this anymore

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizard

Established Member
Reaction score
the big one is bigger than it looks

Attachments

• 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 1,981
I love the way old drills look like exactly what they are: motor + gearbox + handle + chuck.

BugBear

My father had a Wolf Drill and a Stanley Bridges

The Wolf name is still around but I'm sure now Chiwanese?

Rod

bugbear":lt5m7l8h said:
I love the way old drills look like exactly what they are: motor + gearbox + handle + chuck.

BugBear

Wandering just a little to the side of the topic, there's an essay that I'm sure you will like, and almost certainly know already, making an extended comparison between Unix and the Hole Hawg, which

"does not have the pistol-like design of a cheap homeowner's drill. It is a cube of solid metal with a handle sticking out of one face and a chuck mounted in another"

Rest here: http://www.team.net/mjb/hawg.html

Blimey. Is that what the clampets used to drill for oil. Lol

live life to the fullest. You only get one. at least in most cultures. :-S

My late father used to work for Wolf electric tools in Birmingham when he first left school around 1947-8ish. I still have his workbench in the shed complete with the logo on the front and the old round pin sockets mounted on it. I used to have a complete set of accessories for the wolf cub as well. most have been lost in the midsts of time but I still have the lathe attachment, jigsaw,speed reducer and three cubs, Also a safetymaster in a drill press. Solid engineering and nice to hold as well.

t8hants":1tm3ua1k said:
Oh joy! the cast alloy gut-buster how many wrist manglings have they caused?

An awful lot more than a nice modern magnetic-base drill or rotabroach, that's for sure.

A mate of mine (many years ago) was using a large drill atop a smallish tank in a chemical plant. It grabbed, and flung him off the tank and eight feet down onto a concrete floor. Oh the joys of elf-n-safety....

"They do not make them like this anymore" - and a damn good thing, too.

wizard":3f2t4ro6 said:
better photo

Is this one of Santas Special Forces or Maybe if he joined the A Team? lol nice tool you have there and not something i usually say to a guy! :lol:

That drill looks awesome ! Just the sort to keep in your workshop for when someone asks if you've got a drill they can borrow :lol:

Needing to bring an underground mains cable in through the concrete slab of our garage, in the 1970s my dad borrowed a big drill from the factory where he worked. I *think* it was Wolf (might have been AEG or a similar German manufacturer). It was something like this:
ralliwolf-power-tools-drill-250x250.jpg

but IIRC it had a switch on the casing and two handles of simple round steel bar sticking out of the sides of the motor housing like short scaffold poles. We had a 2" TCT-tipped non-SDS bit, with an extension, but the drill wasn't SDS (I'm not sure the SDS system had been invented at the time (circa 1975)).

Even with both of us hanging on for dear life, it still dragged us round, as drilling downwards meant dust frequently clogged the hole and the thing jammed up. It took about an entire day to make the hole, and both of us agreed afterwards that knocking it out with a cold chisel would have been just as fast and probably a lot less effort.

I still have the drill bit somewhere - we even managed to chip a corner off the carbide insert.

These days I think nothing of getting out the diamond core drill and chewing through any thickness. The thing even goes through rebar without you really noticing, except the dust goes magnetic :)

E.

Top bar and bracket was missing on mine, just started to make one, all i could find was a piece of EN32 so its a slow job

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 402
That and your pic give a much better idea of the scale of the thing!

The breast plate was missing on the one we used (or it never had one), so one of the problems was you couldn't brace yourself properly.

A lick of proper hammerite and yours'll look brilliant, and probably work as well as when it was new. :)

Here is a piccy of some of my collection of vintage power tools on display at the Great Dorset Steam Fair this year

Attachments

• tools.jpg
    tools.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 374
Back