What tool do I need for this? Smoothing after hollowing bulk

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tetsuaiga

Established Member
Reaction score
I need to make a bowl but not a round one like you'd make on a lathe. A little more like a tray.

My plan is to remove most of the material first with forstner bit at drill press.

Can anyone suggest what I should use next, the result after drilling should be like a stepped formation, deepest at center. So i need to take it from stepped to smooth surface. What's the best tool for this? Can be power tool or hand.

Suppose a gouge or mini convex plane would work?

Thanks.

Tetsuaiga":ioeiobzr said:
I need to make a bowl but not a round one like you'd make on a lathe. A little more like a tray.

My plan is to remove most of the material first with forstner bit at drill press.

Can anyone suggest what I should use next, the result after drilling should be like a stepped formation, deepest at center. So i need to take it from stepped to smooth surface. What's the best tool for this? Can be power tool or hand.

Not sure I've understood exactly what you want to do but this might help - tray made with Forstner bit then cleaned up with router: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Okwhl-yNKCU

Thanks for all the suggestions.

The main difference from it being a tray is it won't have a flat inside surface. It's more like a bowl but it's not going to be perfectly round, more oval with quite steep edges.

When browsing in WH Simiths recently, I noticed one of the woodworking magazines, (The Woodworker, I think), featured a project similar to what you are describing.
Might be worth checking out.

Ian

Arbortechs are quite fierce I would use chisels and gouges or sanding drums and bobbins on a dril/dremel
Matt

This was done with a 24mm sow-back gouge.

And this was done with a couple of gouges.

If your tray is wide a sow-back gouge is needed to do the level section in the middle..

Pete

I think i'll go with the bent gouges and maybe follow up with some kind of flap sander/scraper or something like that.

Yesterday I found a small bent gouge and gave it a go quickly on some beech, it works much faster than I expected =).

The grinder attachment look a bit too messy and I work at home so the noise wouldn't be good.

Thanks again.

Is this what you had in mind ? :D

lxyyztq.jpg

Back