Rolly Munro Masterclass

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henton49er

Established Member
Reaction score
Just back from a full day's training by Rolly Munro. Just the three of us learning deep hollowing techniques from one of the master's of his art. Quite incredible tool control and an excellent teacher as well as a highly skilled craftsman. Made a tall vase and a 200mm hollow form in ash and a small walnut hollow form with a 20mm opening. A very enjoyable day!!

I will be seeing Rolly again in 10 days time when he is the demonstrator at Mid Wales Woodturners on Sunday 10th August. He is well worth seeing in action if you can get to mid Wales that day.

See here for more information on the day.

Hmmm.
I suppose I can wait a few days...
Am I right thinking an end grain hollowing is pretty tricky with a bowl gouge? ( I don't mean through a small hole, just if an open ended vessel needs special tools?
Cheers
Greg

For the sceptics amongst you (Greg), here is a photo of me hollowing out an ash form, closely watched by the master. This is the only photo I have received to date.

Attachments

• Image00001.jpg
    Image00001.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 833
gregmcateer":d1o8h9f6 said:
We certainly aren't worthy.

I was never sceptical, Mike, honest :wink:

I'm just jealous as hell

Cheers

Greg

Come over to Carno on the 10th August and let some of Rolly's magic rub off on you. Only £12 for the day - well worth it to see his work and talk to friendly woodturners (and me!). Location details on the Club website.

I've met Rolly a couple of times, once at Yandles a few years ago and again at The Toolpost I think, lovely guy, couldn't be more helpful and easy to get on with, and not bad at woodturning either :lol:

Cheers, Paul

henton49er":307jbmss said:
Come over to Carno on the 10th August and let some of Rolly's magic rub off on you. Only £12 for the day - well worth it to see his work and talk to friendly woodturners (and me!). Location details on the Club website.

I wish I could, buddy. Trouble is, having weighed up the pros of going to that against a lifetime doing all my own cooking and cleaning as I'd have missed the family holiday, reckon I'll have to forego the pleasure.

Thanks anyway for the invite - would love to have been there.

Greg

Back