Painting teak garden furniture

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fergal

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

I have some teak (I think) garden furniture which has been sitting outside for 12 years and has gone thoroughly grey. It's still in pretty good condition though considering it's been neglected (I think I oiled it once). However, the wife doesn't like it and wants it painted.

I hear painting teak is a bad idea due to the oils in it. I'm thinking of power washing it, then a light sanding, seal with Zinsser BIN or similar, then paint with exterior satin. Would this work, or will it all peel off not long after?

Any advice gratefully appreciated.

Thanks,

Fergal

I've got a set of Teak garden furniture I made over twenty years ago, that's always been kept outdoors.
I power wash it all every third year, then coat with three coats of Danish oil.
When first coated it has a mellow golden colour with a soft sheen that then fades back to matt grey over the three year period.
The idea of painting them is horrifying.
Remember paint will show up stains, mould, algae etc and generally look dirty very quickly.

phil.p":36gcqkov said:
Tell swmbo the oils in the teak will react with the oils in the paint and give off poisonous fumes. You'll then get the OK to wash and oil it again. :idea: :D

Is that really what happens? (out of curiosity)

I often paint iroko which contains a lot of extractives, I use a fast panel wipe to remove the oils then paint with water based Teknos primer soon after.

I dont know if Teak is similar in this respect.

phil.p":322kfxmg said:
Tell swmbo the oils in the teak will react with the oils in the paint and give off poisonous fumes. You'll then get the OK to wash and oil it again. :idea: :D

:lol: :lol: I may have to use that one in other situations...

Back