nu-tool wood turning lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right ive received my 3/4 by 16 tpi nut this morning and it doesnt fit my lathe it does up about half a turn and then binds any ideas guys
john

just rechecked and over an half inch (12.5 mm)measurement with my vernier gauge its showing 6 threads ?? any ideas

Hi, I feel your pain or felt your pain I should say.
I have a very similar lathe badged as a Berlan, its a German brand.
My spindle thread is M18.
Do you want an M18 nut to try? What I'll send will definitely be an M18, I find a lot of people/suppliers these days don't know the thread patterns like a lot of the oldies do.
PM me your address if you're interested.
Best of luck.

I've just looked at the Peter Child site.
It claims a Clarke (possibly similar to yours) came with a 3/4 x 10 spindle thread.
This might be an option given the thread count you have.
I get 6 threads per half inch on M18, it is early though :D

Trying to find a nut that's 3/4 by 10 tpi is a nightmare lol if I can't get sorted soon I'll flog it and buy a new one lol

One other question could the spindle be changed out for something normal or is this not able to happen
John

pongobear":1o8ir9nj said:
Trying to find a nut that's 3/4 by 10 tpi is a nightmare lol if I can't get sorted soon I'll flog it and buy a new one lol

So incensed with this issue I be ,I called into the workshops and got one. A 3/4 x 10 nut that is :D
I'll send you that one as well.
"All I need are your bank account details and your sort code please" :lol:

pongobear":2csax2f6 said:
3/4 x 10 is a standard UNC - if it is 10 tpi then you ought to be able to measure the thread with a old 'wooden' ruler which - if memory serves - were marked in 10ths" (as well as 8ths & 16ths) and all marks would 'line up'. much better than guessing number of full threads in half-inch.

But of course it will be easier if n0legs' nut fits :)

pongobear":3ti6jw44 said:

To be honest this is the best option cut your losses now rather than throw a lot of money at it. Then buy a lathe with a common thread where you can buy lots of accessories.
Life will be easier and you will not get disheartened with it.

I found you can by adaptors to go from 3/410tpi to either 1 by 8tpi or 3/4 16 tpi so shouldn't be to much bother

Paul Hannaby":19le1cps said:
I used to have one of those lathes and it was 3/4" x 10tpi.The tailstock alignment was a bit of a lottery too! ;)

hiya could you tell me what size the tailstock taper is im pretty sure its mt 2 but would sooner check thanks
john

Yes it's 2mt. If I recall correctly, the headstock spindle is solid with a screw on 4 prong drive centre. When I had mine, I bought a chuck to fit from Axminster so it might be worth contacting them to see if they have anything but I suspect it's one they discontinued a long time ago.

Over the time I had the lathe I broke the banjo and had a new one made from steel. The toolrest also broke so I had that welded. When I upgraded, the bearings and the spindle were worn out so the lathe was scrapped. That was 15 years ago so I hope the one you have has had an easier life than I gave mine! ;)

I agree with the comments about not spending much on this lathe. It's easy to say just buy a better one, but Nutool is not a well respected make. If you can get it working without spending out then fine, use it as a starter lathe but I expect you will want to upgrade anyway when you get into turning.
There was a comment, on this forum I think, from someone who started turning at school using a quality lathe and was later given a cheap lathe by a relative. He reckoned his turning ability went downhill by using it because of developing bad habits trying to compensate for the shortcomings of the lathe.
Money, money, money!!!

K

Back