Aldi Pillar Drill and a few other bits and pieces

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a spare hour this afternoon so I started to assemble the bench drill.

Got as far as putting the plastic foldable chip guard on but discovered it was broken. Must have happened in transit.

So I will now discover how good Aldi customer service is :)

2017-10-27 16.47.35.jpg

2017-10-27 16.44.34.jpg

Attachments

• 2017-10-27 16.44.34.jpg
    2017-10-27 16.44.34.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 1,040
  • 2017-10-27 16.47.35.jpg
    2017-10-27 16.47.35.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 1,040
As I mentioned earlier I have the Titan version which appears to have the same part for the guard, its very fragile and is broken on mine, it was clinging by a thread when I got it and despite glueing up didn't last long

Frankly it gets in the way anyway so am none to bothered, but with yours being new you want it right don't you

So far I have found Aldis regard to returns to be first rate but haven't needed to return any large items like the drill press

Hope they will sort it out for you

I may be wrong but I suspect it will be the whole thing

MrTeroo":kigyqy9p said:
Yes I'm hoping they can send me a replacement part rather than the whole thing being returned.

Well as far as my limited expertise tells me, the drill is ok.

I don't have precise requirements though and I have never owned a bench drill before.

Couple of points.

The depth stop ring isn't very good. It is very difficult to make it tighten on the setting you choose. Very fiddly and it moves as you tighten.

The system of holding the vice to the table is poor. Just two bolts and nuts.

Again, very fiddly.

But it was only £60. Hard to believe that they make this, ship it across the world and sell it for that price.

Attachments

• bench-drill.jpg
    bench-drill.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 916
Looks remarkably like my Titan

Re the depth stop, I didn't use it on mine but as I said earlier the guard split and I removed it hence no depth stop any more, no loss for my usage

Re the hand vice, mine didn't come with one, so I bought one at a boot sale, I don't secure it to the table as I don't often need it, so it sits underneath the table until required, I just keep a piece of scrap wood on the table to save splinter out, nearly all my work is on wood

As you say for £60 you cannot expect a super duper all singing all dancing machine, but it should do a job of work for you at a reasonable price

MrTeroo":2bva82l4 said:
Well as far as my limited expertise tells me, the drill is ok.

I don't have precise requirements though and I have never owned a bench drill before.

Couple of points.

The depth stop ring isn't very good. It is very difficult to make it tighten on the setting you choose. Very fiddly and it moves as you tighten.

The system of holding the vice to the table is poor. Just two bolts and nuts.

Again, very fiddly.

But it was only £60. Hard to believe that they make this, ship it across the world and sell it for that price.

whatknot":2b24avlf said:

Re the depth stop, I didn't use it on mine but as I said earlier the guard split and I removed it hence no depth stop any more, no loss for my usage

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but how does removing the chip guard stop the depth stop working?

The Aldi badged pillar drill may be different but on my Titan and several others I have seen the depth stop is attached to the guard

The attached shows a Scheppach but basically the same as the Titan

MrTeroo":1trebhtm said:
whatknot":1trebhtm said:

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but how does removing the chip guard stop the depth stop working?

Attachments

• drill.jpg
    drill.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 862
Thats a better idea than being mounted on a plastic guard which is brittle in itself, a small amount of pressure and it cracks

MrTeroo":1j0wuf6v said:
Ah, I see.

It's different on the Aldi one.

Hi

Can anyone tell me if the table and base on the Aldi bench drill are pressed steel or cast iron?

I've seen a youtube video of the Lidl drill being assembled and it looks like pressed steel.

Back