Anyone here explain re my PC problem please?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
I have had a bad time for a week with my PC W7pro but today it is running as sweet as a nut!

I think something keeps switching me out of Interet explorer, (which I need for my Corel programs only downloads work with i/e in painter.)
(I did install photoshop 12 days ago which is giving me the usual learning problems.)

Problems in past week were computer running slow on commands but faster than me today.
I did a system restore 24 hours ago but things after were no better only this morning have things changed for the better.

Just your technical advice sought please

Win 7 defrags on the fly, so no need to defrag.

I possibly doing updated in the background.

Pete

Racers":25ni0ugd said:
I possibly doing updated in the background.

Pete

+1

John unless a newly installed piece of new software has caused problems that you can't remove by going through the semi-automatic uninstall routine of that software don't keep going back to restore points, they are last ditch, maybe get you out of trouble actions.

Every time you go back in time the system will start checking for any security and system software updates that have been issued and go through the downloading and installing routines again, this might be what you are seeing.

Even installing new software to the machine such as Photoshop may trigger a raft of system updates to bring files up to latest versions or re-arranging of disc file order/locations to try and improve performance, any of which may take processor and disk access time and slow things down whilst it is sorting itself out.

Does the disk access light show a lot of activity when in the 'slow mode' (constantly on and/or flickering) if so it just means the machine is busy doing its own thing.

Use Internet Explorer only in conjunction with Corel programs.
For everything else, make Firefox or some other less bloated browser your default.

www.protonic.com free tech support run by volunteers fast and efficient. Anything computer related have helped me sort out computer problems several times.

An outside possibility for computers running slow - Thermal throttling. Hoover out the case, if the heatsink is clogged with dust a clean dry paintbrush can help. You can spend a surprisingly long time looking for a techie solution to a pretty basic problem.

If its' running slow, or even if not I'd suggest pressing " control, alt and delete" together which will bring up the option to open task manager. If you then look under the applications and process tabs you can see what applications are running and how much of your resources they are using. If any look suspicious then you can disable them but with care!

If you aren't sure what something is the do a screen shot and print off and you can check each one via google.

Bob

Lons":3dbla9ax said:
If its' running slow, or even if not I'd suggest pressing " control, alt and delete" together which will bring up the option to open task manager. If you then look under the applications and process tabs you can see what applications are running and how much of your resources they are using. If any look suspicious then you can disable them but with care!

If you aren't sure what something is the do a screen shot and print off and you can check each one via google.

Bob

Thanks Lon.

I go to tools on the internet page regularly and see on the tabs page (Programs) that it states i/e is not my default and have to reset . I do get messages pop up asking me if I want i/e as my default so can I assume something is attacking me, And who?

What Chas said John.

It's normal for any browser program to request that you use it as default as the producers want you to use their product, hopefully exclusively so you're not under attack as such just nuisance massages. i use chrome at the minute because I don't like explorer though still have it there for the odd occasion. There is a way of disabling the messages but I can't remember - old age unfortunately.

Yes I do have i/e set .

Internet options program page

Make i/e my default browser.

But something comes along that I do not see or notice and I find that i/e asks to be set as i/e.

Any suggestions on this problem welcome.

(But again I must mention that PC is running faster than ever at the moment)

Installed Photoshop and Lightroom in the past 14 days and I am ploughing through tutorial vids like crazy and sleeping well at nights!

Must do some woodwork , must do some woodwork. :) :) :)

Following on from above, I just opened Lightroom (photoshop) tutorial and got a pop up.
Would you like to make I/E your default browser.

Is this where my PC is being hijacked re browser do you think?

There should be a box to tick to never ask me again.

Pete

Racers":h5l8hf1d said:
There should be a box to tick to never ask me again.

Pete

That happened on this occassion opening ukworkshop, there was no box to tick never ask again.

But no worries I clicked to keep I/E

I also got a security box suggesting I set my security as recommended. Never had a period like it in years where my PC is asking so much attention

Back