Warco Pillar Drills?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user22161

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a Warco 2F? Good, bad or indifferent?

I've just sold my under powered Fox and looking for better replacement, min 1HP and don't want to hang around for Meddings or similar to fettle. Have looked at Axminster look-alike to the Warco, (ATDP17F) and it's substantially more expensive and has an "electrically interlocked chuck guard" which I certainly don't want as they get binned straight away.

Hello,

I would wait for a Meddings! In fact why wait, for this sort of money, you should be able to buy a tip top Meddings from a used tool dealer, which will be in a ready to use state from the get go. I use one in school, and an Elliott Progress at home. You wouldn't get anything new to touch either unless willing to spend well over 1000 pounds.

Mike.

So often on this site do I have to bight my tongue, school children using US phrase's "from the get go" what has happened to the English Language. (hammer) (hammer) (hammer) (hammer) (hammer) (hammer) (hammer) (hammer) (hammer) (hammer)

Mike

I've got a Warco 2F - good machine, does what it's meant to, no complaints.

MikeJhn":2rena1sf said:
So often on this site do I have to bight my tongue, school children using US phrase's "from the get go" what has happened to the English Language. (hammer) (hammer) (hammer) (hammer) (hammer) (hammer) (hammer) (hammer) (hammer) (hammer)

Mike

What happened to spelling? :)

no idea":2mf43a0k said:
I've got a Warco 2F - good machine, does what it's meant to, no complaints.

Thanks for that. I've had a search for older "better" quality machines but nothing of interest within reasonable distance and/or price. Think I'll order a Warco on Monday.

Please be careful going down the English grammar and spelling route,I mentioned it a few months ago because I am in total agreement but I got knocked quite badly for it,a lot of people think it doesn't matter .

kevinlightfoot":13ceg4le said:
Please be careful going down the English grammar and spelling route,I mentioned it a few months ago because I am in total agreement but I got knocked quite badly for it,a lot of people think it doesn't matter .

I also don't think it matters, my reply above was a leg pull as you may have guessed from the smiley. I don't think poor spelling or bad grammar should be policed and commented on, it's the quality of the post which matters. Some people are dyslectic, others like myself just didn't pay enough attention at school. If it wasn't for spell check, I'd be snookered.

MikeJhn":310yckzq said:

Mike

Hello,

Soz, I was being light hearted; not trying to sound preachy with my recommendation.

Regardless, Meddings in fully working order can be had for the price of a lower quality Chinese machine. If the OP had used a Meddings on a daily basis, he wouldn't be asking the question, he would be sourcing a Meddings and anticipating a gloat here when it arrived!

BTW, if you ever catch me using terms like lumber, chip breaker and dado, or saying 'I sawed it', as seems to be the Americanisms that are creeping in here, then banish me from this site forever. :roll:

Mike.

GrahamF":1vt41tgs said:
I also don't think it matters, my reply above was a leg pull as you may have guessed from the smiley. I don't think poor spelling or bad grammar should be policed and commented on, it's the quality of the post which matters. Some people are dyslectic, others like myself just didn't pay enough attention at school. If it wasn't for spell check, I'd be snookered.
I don't use a spell check as I get irritated when it corrects my spellings to American. By the bye. I think it's fair to comment on a post that is unintelligible or has been given a certain ambiguity by a misspelling (often because of a homonym).

Back on track. I think as the owner of a DrillTru if I were parting with that sort of cash i would for for a second hand Meddings, Fobco, Startrite etc. - there are loads of dealers around if you can't find one on evilbay. Keep your eye on the local press and Gumtree - these things do crop up occasionally.

There is a floor standing Startright Mercury on Ebay now. I would second all those recommending a quality second hand machine. I still have a cheap Chinese machine and I get by but always have a look a fancy looking new machines when passing. Been in Axminster and I dont think I have ever found a machine without some play in the quill regardless of price.

Beau":32ka61ss said:
There is a floor standing Startright Mercury on Ebay now. I would second all those recommending a quality second hand machine. I still have a cheap Chinese machine and I get by but always have a look a fancy looking new machines when passing. Been in Axminster and I dont think I have ever found a machine without some play in the quill regardless of price.

Thanks but the 3 Startrights are bench models and I want floor standing. Problem in most cases is distance from N Wales to go and look at things and as I'm only at home in UK for 3 months or so a year don't want to have to spend time fettling and looking for parts.

GrahamF":2vkl8crj said:
Beau":2vkl8crj said:

Thanks but the 3 Startrights are bench models and I want floor standing. Problem in most cases is distance from N Wales to go and look at things and as I'm only at home in UK for 3 months or so a year don't want to have to spend time fettling and looking for parts.

This one is a floor stander http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STARTRITE-MER ... 4902.l9144 but understand about not wanting to make a long haul if turns out to be a duffer. Cant say I often buy big kit off Ebay for the same reason as almost everything that pops up is long way from West Devon

Beau":1u3hhfwu said:
This one is a floor stander http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STARTRITE-MER ... 4902.l9144 but understand about not wanting to make a long haul if turns out to be a duffer. Cant say I often buy big kit off Ebay for the same reason as almost everything that pops up is long way from West Devon

Thanks Beau, Strange, that one didn't show up on my ebay search, just the 3 bench models. May give seller a ring on Monday and see what offer he may accept. Graham.

Graham
If you want a floor standing startrite I have a really good one
Variable speed with inverter and a 2 speed gearbox
Really tall one too
Let me know if you interested its in sheffield
Ian

flh801978":dzk36l2n said:
Graham
If you want a floor standing startrite I have a really good one
Variable speed with inverter and a 2 speed gearbox
Really tall one too
Let me know if you interested its in sheffield
Ian

Thanks, will send PM.

Just to follow up on the thread, I didn't in the end buy a Warco, they couldn't guarantee a delivery date, just quoted around ten days because "the warehouse is very busy", which I suspect means they pull stock in from importer when they got an order.

Ended up buying a Pro25-17VS from Chester Machinery's Hawarden branch. RRP £547.80 but got an ex display one in perfect condition for £350. Very heavy build, around 100 kgs.

MusicMan":uzqu7x1h said:
Thanks for letting us know. Always nice to know the conclusion of a thread.

Not quite the end :(

The immaculate "ex display" drill turned out to have a part missing from the speed control, despite the engineers having been told to check it out before my collection. Took it back for credit against a D32 - http://www.chesterhobbystore.com/d-seri ... 4008-p.asp - which is more often seen under the Draper label at considerably more money. Without any request from me, they rounded the price down to £500 for time and trouble. Would certainly deal with them again. The new drill is assembled (bloody heavy at 148 kgs) and working fine, no play whatsoever in the quill.

Lets hope this is the conclusion :D

Back