Oak Gates - Black

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ninjaspy

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am looking to restore our oak gates but not sure what to use. Any ideas on what the black marks/stains are and what I can use to remove them?

Unfortunately I can't attach or link to the photographs but if somebody supplies an email address, I'm happy to send them.

Thanks in advance.

If you have black stains on oak it seems a safe bet that it's from a reaction with some iron or steel fittings on the gates. Oak is particularly prone to it. Although this kind of staining can sometimes be lessened or removed using oxalic acid you should be prepared for the possibility that the stains may be permanent.

If you want to try removing the stains using oxalic acid it's available online from a couple of ebay sellers I believe as well as one or two chemical supply houses, but use with caution as it's quite toxic. It's sold as a dry powder so you have to be careful about inhaling any dust or getting it into your eyes so a mask and goggles are advisable when you're mixing up the solution with water. And wear rubber gloves.

One way around the problem is to stain the gates entirely black, if that idea appeals?

Back