SIP help please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G4YVM

Reaction score
Firstly,
Hello. I admit I have come here for some help!

I have a small workshop at home and have for some time been using a SIP 16" scroll saw with my sons. The other day an horrendous clacking noise was followed by a loss f power to the blade...quick strip down and ...agh!!!!! The eccentric system has shredded itself. Basically the rotator of the motor fits into a bearing, this is within a plastic (in my case) conrod which transfers the rotational power to the vertical motion...but you knew that.

I seem to have a shredded conrod - bit of it everywhere, the star washer was badly chewed etc. The eccentric output with balance weight is unnaffected, the hex bolt assy into the motor shaft is also good...it's only the plastic bearing assy thats gone to pot.

My problem is that my assembly is NOT as shown on the current SIP exploded diagrams in their spares catalogue on line. I bought my saw about two years ago.

Anyone got any advice? The unit is in Salisbury, Wiltshire.

Many thanks in advance

David

Think this may be a common problem with the SIP Scroll Saws as i had two of them and the bearings went on both within two months of ownership. Needless to say that i got my money back in the end and got a different brand.

Well I was looking at that diagram. My motor fits at 90 degrees to the one shown, but the fitting seems to be the same. How many ways can they have fitted a spindle into a bearing??

If you have one can I get it on sort of SOR and if it isnt right, return it?

David

IMAG0182 (640x362).jpg

IMAG0183 (640x362).jpg

IMAG0185 (362x640).jpg

Its the 01928 unit.

The last photo shows the part which should be fixed to the motor spindle which now iosnt. Ive placed it in situ to show the nature of the normal orientation.
David

Attachments

• IMAG0185 (362x640).jpg
    IMAG0185 (362x640).jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 518
  • IMAG0183 (640x362).jpg
    IMAG0183 (640x362).jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 518
  • IMAG0182 (640x362).jpg
    IMAG0182 (640x362).jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 518
Oh dear,

I was prepared to cannibalise my old scrollsaw if it would have helped but that doesn't look anything like either of my scrollsaws! Sorry.

Maybe someone else on here will recognise the details and be able to help.

Phill

Thanks Guys.

I managed to contact SiP direct and their excellent tech service guy, Jake, sorted me out perfectly. In the end I bought the spares for £22 from World of Power, so not TOO bad and all done on the phone. My only surprise is that the bearing wore out at all...it doesnt get very heavy use and its less than two years old. Cest la vie.

(As for my car plate, yes. £300 a few years ago now got the plate. I was chatting to Rob Mannion a while ago and mentioned to him that he ought to get his callsign plate to which he replied that he wasnt paying a grand for a number plate. I told him it would cost him less than 300 and sent a link. Next thing I know he's bought it while his wife was out!)

David

Pleased you got the parts David. Seems to be a lot of Radio Hams on here.

Cheers

Bob

GM4VIK

Hi David,
I am glad to hear that you are a step closer to fixing your saw.
I also got my plates 5 years ago for 60th birthday (G7AAJ)

Bob how are you getting on with the new lathe??I don't think you have been to the club since you bought it.

Peter.

sorry Bob got you mixed up with another Bob who is also on hear. (hammer)

Peter.

No probs Peter Kilmarnock a bit of a trip for me but I am getting on fine with my lathe and turning out the pens.

Back