Tambour shutter

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Giff

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone any tips on making a tambour shutter / screen. It doesn't have to roll up completely but have some movement.
Is it drill and thread with wire or cord. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Geoff

I just junked one of these, it was strips of wood, well veneer onto something, with a canvas-like backing material holding it all together. I think that's a better approach because having the hinge at the back of the slats allows you to have no gap between the slats.

I made one about 10 years ago using veneered ply glowed to a canvas backing. After several years of use the canvas started to pull off the slats, so I ended up drilling the slats and adding steel cable to repair/strengthen it.

This might help, although it doesn't describe the type that links interlocking staves with wire - it uses a cloth backing glued to the staves. Slainte.

Norm built a tambour roll top desk on New Yankee Workshop. This was a two episode project that includes details of the tambour. You'll find the episodes on Youtube.

Misterfish

John Brown":2qgsd79z said:
monkeybiter":2qgsd79z said:
I have seen a router bit/set on a US website which allows the manufacture of interlocking rails, like interlocking tongue & groove, to do away with the need for the canvas backing.

Here you go...

http://www.amanatool.com/products/r...ur-door-appliance-garage-router-bit-sets.html

Must be cheaper options.
That looks interesting, but what's the first cutter in the top picture for? Is it just for rounding over the top and bottom slats?

The main cutter's lower profile looks to be squarer than the final item so I think it's for just rounding over the bottom inside and outside edges a tad, more for visual effect than functional.

Neat bit of kit though.

Sgian Dubh, that build is very nice, I love the outside lines of the cabinet.

I'm at a loss to understand how you orient the grain using the router cutter - looks like you'll end up with some very unfavorable grain however you do it.

Back