Mystery Tool

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All I can find are references to the Reliable Co. in Newark, New Jersey.

Does the depth stop on one arm set the gap the tool closes to?

I'm baffled - trying to imagine it in operation makes me think it stretches some leather component to fit (maybe a machinery belt?) but who knows.

On Naznomad's lead, you should contact Crafts of New Jersey (http://craftsofnj.org), a hobby club of tool collectors. If it's locally made they might be able to help.

I also find this, from an antiques appraisal of a print:

"The Reliable Company of Newark, NJ imported both prints and paintings from Europe. There is not a lot of information out there on them but they did a large about of work throughout the mid 20th century...mostly in the 1950's. Like many importers of fine parlor art the work was sold through Macy's. (Macy's used to include collectibles and antiques mid century era and it looks like they were a "handler" import art company, not a publisher, which may explain why it is so hard to find info on them.) Other references I found for "Product of Reliable, Newark New Jersey found similar limited information with most being mass produced prints. If they sold paintings they were probably current "starving" artists of the time."

Doubt this is the same company, tool manufacture and print selling don't really go together.

I can't imagine what the straight arm does. It doesn't change the shape or size of the head, it doesn't do anything mechanical at that head end.

Are the two arms sturdy enough to twist material or fold an edge of 'something' over?

If their business was indeed to do with art, could this be a canvas stretcher of some kind?

Back then if they had an idea for a tool it wouldn't be hard to find someone to produce it for them.

YorkshireMartin":ij7zcd7p said:
...could this be a canvas stretcher of some kind?

I thought that, but it's nothing like any canvas stretcher pics I looked at.

The two 'pointy bits' appear to have a cutting edge.

A late intuition thought - does it open right out to 180 degrees? If it does the the "pin" on the end and the "stop" on the second part start to make sense as some sort of measuring / setting device. The side ways pin then scribes or is alinged with something???

More questions:

Can you confirm that both pointy bits are fixed onto the 'head' - so could not expand against each other.
Could you describe how sharp the points are and which sides of them are sharp.
Does the bit with the thumbscrew slide up and down the arm that it's on, independent of the handle?

I don't know what it is but am trying to deduce how it might have been held in use.

My best guess so far is that the handle fixed to the head is held in front of the user, like a saw is, with the other handle at right angles, in the other hand. The little block with the thumbscrew works as a guage/fence, running against the edge of the work. You can then cut a strip off whatever it is you are cutting. Lead flashing maybe? (Any traces or residues on the blade?)

But it all seems much more awkward than a knife and a straight edge, so is probably wrong.

is it for taking a lid off paint or something?
giant can opener
it seems like the point would have been "stabbed" into something
staple remover ?

Steve

Thanks for the responses and interest!

I don't have the tool in front of me, alls I have is the pictures. I have forwarded all the questions to the owner and am waiting for a response.

Some tweaked pics of the business end ...

tool1.jpg

I forgot to mention that there should be 2 of the perpendicular spikes, one has appeared to have been snapped off. The owner did say this I forgot to mention :oops:

After all this, it's probably just for getting stones out of horses hooves. :-D

Back