garden bench for the summer months

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yah its funny, i could easily have bought one for the time and money ive spent. As it turnes out I dont even need the belt sander for this really, because the 'rough' wood i bought is silky smooth, its only the ends that need sanding. Cant really have enough tools / toys though can you )

No you can never have too many tools !
You might have been able to buy a bench, but you wouldn't be able to buy the experience you gained from making it yourself. Plus you've made this one how you've wanted, not how somebody else decided they should smash out 10,000 other bland boring benches ;)

Coley

not finished just assembled. Ill paint all the metal parts orange when I find some orange paint, just painted them white to stop them rusting.
The belts for the sander arrived and i tried it out, love that thing.

will need to but a brace up the back as well.

XWIqIpG.jpg

Crikey o riley it's a biggun innit ! Looks comfy, the legs look well supported. Have you got to put something along the back to stop the back boards bending ?
Picnic bench next project......?
Good job ;)

Coley

ColeyS1":17x18yp1 said:
Redd":17x18yp1 said:
It needs to be strong because I'm going to be drunk, and standing on this. I weigh 12 stone
Funniest thing I've read this year !!! ;)
Welcome to the forum !!
The one you've made looks good, wood perhaps rounding the ends of a few bits make it look a little softer looking?
That comment made me proper belly laugh !

Coley

I remember when I weighed 12 stones. That was shortly before I started drinking beer! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers :eek:ccasion5:

yes I need a Festool Domino . pity they are 400 odd euro second hand, thats going to hurt. They are a valid tool though.

so anyway the sun came out at the weekend and I had some friends over for beers and the bench sat five no bother.
I was pertty steamed and misplaced my phone so no pics I'm afraid. Regardless, great success.

I'm glad you posted this. I've got an outdoor bench I need to make. Think I might try to add the leg support bit. What's your day job then ? - just curious

Coley

I work for a software company. I make stuff in the evenings to keep me happy, its a good release.

I'm making a fire to compliment the bench.

Story goes that, we had a session a few weeks ago, and when I woke in the morning one of my buddies had lit a fire in this circular piece of metal i had lying in the garden, and I thought, hold up, that has potential.
So a nice way to come into being.

It's not finished yet, there are going to be five legs, each with a different pattern. This gives an idea:

xyv3vKc.jpg

I thought you did engineering as your job ;) How did you cut all the detail in the legs/feet ? It's looks really neat ! Keep the pics coming :cool:

Coley

Redd":2omainp9 said:
I work for a software company. I make stuff in the evenings to keep me happy, its a good release.
I'm exactly the same. City boy by day. Wood butcherer by night!

plasma cutter. I bought a hypertherm powermax 45 six months ago. Its a good toy, I do recommend them.
Its kinda taking over though, between upgrading air supply's and improving the table I use to cut. I'm considering building a CNC table, that should only take the bones of 6 months and swallow all my money. Could maybe make money from it though.

Back